New chicken mom!

Crystaluna13

Chirping
Apr 3, 2019
Mebane, NC
I purchased 4 chicks, only a day old, at a local, privately owned feed and garden center. They've been so helpful...these are my first chickens. It's amazing how fast they grow!!
I would like to address roosts...I've read that chickens prefer to have their toes stretched on a fkat surface, or a wide tree limb, as opposed to curled around a thinner tree limb. Opinions?

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow:welcome
Doesn't really matter, aslong as they can sit comfortably on the roosts and cover their feet with their bodies to prevent frost bite.
4C265BBC-950C-4000-AE2C-A2202C73DA38.jpeg

Thanks! That makes sense, and we do have cold winters here!
You can put a variety of perches in your run. I go out into the woods behind my property and drag back logs with side branches on them and arrange them in the run. The flock loves perching on them off and on throughout the day.
Is your coop done and you are just looking for roost advice?

2byc-picket-fence.png

hithere.gif
There's many different opinions on roost materials, but they all serve the same purpose, just don't use metal or plastic. I use flat 2x3s in my coop and also have some natural branches available in the run for daytime hangouts. Start by setting up a little perch inside the brooder so your chicks can practice and it'll be an easy transition to the coop. Chicks that never have access to a perch of some kind seem to have some confusion about what a roost is and how to use one later on. Here's an article about how chickens preferred using different roost materials if you're interested: The Perch Experiment

Good luck with your new flock!
flappyChicken.gif

Back
Top Bottom