New chicken mom

I do have a question for ya... I free range my hens during the day and then put them in the coop at night... they are 20 weeks old and I just switched over to layer cruumbles. They will not eat it. :( are they eating enough during the day in the yard/woods ? I don't want them to starve!!

I do have a question for ya... I free range my hens during the day and then put them in the coop at night... they are 20 weeks old and I just switched over to layer cruumbles. They will not eat it.
sad.png
are they eating enough during the day in the yard/woods ? I don't want them to starve!!
They are obviously eating something or else they would starve! So they are probably dinning while ranging. They need to eat their layer feed to though. So you may need to confine them for like two days so that they have nothing to eat but layer feed. Also, don't give out many treats until they are eating their layer feed.

I do have a question for ya... I free range my hens during the day and then put them in the coop at night... they are 20 weeks old and I just switched over to layer cruumbles. They will not eat it.
sad.png
are they eating enough during the day in the yard/woods ? I don't want them to starve!!
welcome-byc.gif

Did you gradually change the feed. If not, you can try mixing it with their past feed, increasing the percentage daily over a few days so you sneak in the new food.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, chickens don't like change, if they are not eating the new food try mixing it with the old food to gradually switch over.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck and I hope you can get them to eat their food! Try wetting it down a bit....dampen it. Makes it taste better. But yes, if they are out there free ranging all day, they may not be all that hungry. I would do as Mountain Peeps said and keep them confined for a couple days. Mix in some old feed with the new feed and dampen it. They will start eating in no time.

Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you some good advice regarding your chickens diet, so I'll just say, please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom