New Chicken Mom....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StillyChicken, Mar 24, 2015.

1. StillyChicken

StillyChicken New Egg

Mar 24, 2015
    Hello All,

I have 6 chickens that just turned 1 year old this month. It has been a wonderful year of learning how to care for chickens. I do have some questions, before I start rambling off the questions, let me give everyone a little history.

Until last March, I have never since a chicken up close, my husband had several before we meant and convinced me this would be a good project for us. I should have known then he meant me. I spoiled the dog, Daisy, a 5yr old English bulldog, she thinks she is the baby of the house. Then there is Motorhead the cat, no I didn't spell it wrong, I named him Motorhead because when he purrs - he sounds like a motor. He will be 10yrs old - still does not know he is a cat. He was only a few weeks old when we found him and brought him home. He likes baths - go figure.

Back to the Chick, they are Frances and Irene are Rhode Island Reds, Isadora and Rebecca, I think are BardRocks and I am not sure what Sunshine and Snuggles are besides being my crazy chickens.

So, I started playing with them as soon as they came home, it took me awhile with the names but
    after spending time watching them it was easy. Frances and Irene are named after my mother in law, no offense to mother in laws, but they were pecking at everyone in the box. Rebecca is after my Mom, had to be fair. Isadora because I love that name. Sunshine got her name because when I would clean there pen she would sit on my shoulder. Snuggles, she's my brooder, all she wanted to do was snuggle down in the pine shavings.

Do chickens really imprint a person? My husband, can let them out of the coop without me, once they hear or see me - they actually come running towards me and will squat in front of me to be picked up.
    Is this normal behavior for chickens? Of course, Snuggles does not do this she watches from a distant and the will follow along later.

I have spoiled the chickens - I moved them semi in doors, to a sunroom for the winter when the temps went down to zero. Did I over react? They are still in the sunroom and I let them out on Sunny Days.
    Hoping to move them back to the coop in the next couple of weeks.

We have Peeps around a month old and I want to move them to the Sunroom until they are old enough and bigger to move in with the others - once another coop is built. I plan on cleaning and sanitizing the sunroom before they move in. Anything else I should be concerned about when I move them?

Last question - When can I move all of them in together.. I was thinking September?

Thank you to those who took the time to read my saga.

Happy Chickens are good for the soul.

Stilly Chicken lady

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Many times I have named chicks when they are tiny and oddly enough their names fit perfectly! Not sure how that works. Ha!

Yes, chicks imprint on you as they would their own momma's. You ARE their momma! So when they see you coming, of course they are going to come running. Especially as they get older and have figured out where the goodies come from.

You can mix any chicks after they are 3 to 4 months of age with larger birds. Everybody needs to be around the same size to defend themselves. Keep the new birds in an enclosure or cage within the coop and run at all times for 3 to 4 weeks. Everybody sees, nobody touches. After several weeks you can mix them in. This length of time will help to ease the pecking order arguments. Of course always intervene if it turns bloody. I like to add extra feed and water stations for the new birds as the existing flock can guard these areas and starve out the new birds.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and we do welcome you to our flock!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice! Good luck with your flock.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sounds like there is harmony in your flock - which is always good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by