New chicken momma as of, say 20 minutes ago..

Hi friends...
So that day has FINALLY come, we brought home 2 of what will, in a week, be a flock of 8. Today, the Australorp chicks... Despite obsessively reading every single post I could manage- I am such a nervous momma. My brooder temp is perfect ( I have been tweaking for days), dipped their beaks in water (just very briefly, and only once). They pecked a tiny bit at the food but have since gone totally silent and are a bit laid out ( heads down) on the periphery of the heat lamp. I know this is probably fine, but I am of course, completely obsessed and was just hoping for some reassurance, or info if I am off about something.

Thanks!! I know you have probably felt the same the first time. Just so nervous and excited!!

Your doing great! They are just tuckered out from the stress of traveling and will sort of act this way for a day. As you know just keep an eye on them to ensure they are trying to drink/eat and move around. I started my first flock in February and now they are 6 weeks old and in the coop! The best advice I can give is to watch your chickens, they will let you know what they need. I researched and researched and all of it helped, but the chickens will be your best indicator on what they need.

Good luck and welcome!!
It's amazing how something so fun makes us all so nervous. Good luck and a warm welcome to you both.

Back
Top Bottom