New chicken momma & BYC member

tschreier

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Hello all!

I'm new to raising chickens. I got a flock of 6, their about 5 1/2 months now and just started laying 2 weeks ago.

A friend referred me to BYC when I first got my chicks. I've enjoyed the threads and found them to be very helpful as a new chicken momma.

I got a variety flock: 2 buttercups, 2 rhode islands, and 2 marans. They've played nice until recently when I noticed one of my buttercups lack of tail feathers and swollen, bare bum. I pulled her from the flock last night and used the wound spray antiseptic stuff to treat and cover the area. I hope the prevents future pecking. I haven't been able to identify the bully yet but everyone else appears 'in tact'.

I am so thankful to everyone for posting their tips to treating wounds and preventing pecking.

Looking forward to the future with the girls!!!

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
I hope you enjoy BYC!

images

Great to have you aboard! Make sure the birds have lots of space in the coop and run as chickens tend to pick on each other when they feel cramped in or bored. You might hang some veggies, a cabbage or even put in a seed pecking block to give them something to do other than pick on each other. Get them out to free range during the day if you can to entertain them as well. Blu-kote works well on picked areas of the body because it hides the color of bare skin.

Enjoy BYC and your flock!

Back
Top Bottom