New Chicken Momma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommachick5, Mar 17, 2018.

1. mommachick5

mommachick5 In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2018
    Ohio
    Hi everyone- My husband and I recently bought a small farm (32 acres) in Ohio. He was raised in the country and I wasn't. So I am learning everything I can, I am a reader and studier, so it's been fun.

We got 10 chicks last week and have been keeping them in a big container (I think you call that a brooder, but not sure...hahaha) with heat lamp the past week. It was really cold in Ohio, so we actually brought the brooder in our mud room (don't laugh)....I was worried about the little buggers freezing out there. What low temp is ok to move them outside still in the container with the heat lamp? Also, how long do they need the heat lamp? When can they go in our little free range pen (with elec fence to keep out coyotes and stuff) and be ok?

We want to feed them organic and not sure why to buy the next bag of feed for that? Or if they are free range do we not feed them a lot extra??? DUH !

Is there a good book someone can recommend that will answer a lot of my questions...because I have way more !!!

Thanks everyone - I really am learning a lot from this forum and the web - I really appreciate the help to a total novice !!!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Joeschooks, rjohns39, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :welcome

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You did good by keeping your chicks in doors. Chicks need constant heat until the age of 5 weeks when they are fully feathered. Start day old chicks around 90 degrees, lowering the heat by 5 degrees each week until room temp. If it's still cold at week 5 and you want to get them outside, take the heat lamp out with them, set up in the corner to use at night only. They can choose to use it or not. By the age of 8 weeks, they can pretty much tolerate all cold temps without dying. Just make SURE the lamp is permanently attached to the ceiling or wall so it can't fall and start a fire.

You can get them out for field trips any time now, 50 to 60 degree days, no wind. Helps them adjust to new surroundings. Start with 10 mins and work them up. They stress easily at first and can chill. Watch them carefully or sit with them the entire time. Chicks love to get into trouble. LOL

You can start in with treats around 6 weeks. Keep them on Starter feed until around 5 or so months or when they start laying. Then feed layer feed.

BYC is your best source for the info. Welcome to our roost! :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    N F C, Teila, Joeschooks and 5 others like this.
  5. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Sounds like the beginning of a great flock!

Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you decided to join the BYC flock :frow.

rjohns39, N F C, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    TwoCrows did a great job of answering your questions so I’ll just wish you a very warm welcome! Good to have you in the flock :thumbsup

rjohns39, Spartan22, N F C and 2 others like this.
  10. :welcome Good luck with your backyard flock!:D What breeds are your chickies? And yes it is called a brooder:)

rjohns39, TwoCrows and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: