New chicken mommy here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GwenReaper, Sep 7, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, My name is Jessie. I am very new to having chickens. About a month ago I got a baby duck from a friend of mine.... that where it all started. I loved the duck and it was inside until a couple days ago.

I bought my house and the shed in the back used to be a chicken coop back in the day, so I changed it back. I made an extended fence for it and lowered some shelves so that I could make some nesting boxes for chickens... So I got the coop ready and now I have 5 chickens. I went and got them today. I got 3 from one guy and 2 from another person on craigslist. Only 2 are laying right now. Within a month all of them should be laying. I am learning about different breeds and anything I can find out about chickens. I am very happy with their personalities...and my duck has already imprinted on one of the chickens... I think she now things she is a chicken. I will take some pictures of my chickens tomorrow and maybe someone can tell me what kind of chickens I have.

I need to know anything that I can about them... so any info would be apprieciated!!

-What kind of snacks do they like-- fruit??? vegies??
    - How long does a chicken stay fertile after leaving a house with a rooster?

Thanks!!!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

~*~*~WeLcOmE to BYC~*~*~ from SW VA

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to BYC! To answer one of your questions, I think a hen can lay a fertilized egg long after mating, like several days. Someone correct me if it's longer.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hi Jessie! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! Enjoy! [​IMG]

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. Chickens love all kinds of veggies and fruit....Mine love all kinds of berries, raisins, grapes, melons.corn,sunflower seeds, squash, tomatoes,cucumbers, yogurt, cottage cheese , leftover spaghetti, lettuce,oats, and lots more. As far as I know Citrus, Avocado and raw potato skin/peelings are a nono..check the thread on feeding and watering also check Frequently asked questions. There is a treat chart.

8. ROOSTER_ROO

ROOSTER_ROO Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    [​IMG]:thumbsup from Idaho !!!!!!! Eat more spuds !

9. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    [​IMG] from Utah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by