1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicken Mommy

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bmo1984, Mar 18, 2017.

1. bmo1984

bmo1984 New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi All-

I am a new chicken mommy to 6 ISA Brown chickens. We are going the let them roam during the day and cage at night.

We typically get our lawn treated a few times a year for weeds by Truegreen. My question is:

What do others do with their chickens when their lawns get treated. They say to keep kids and Animals off of the lawn for a few hours until it's absorbed (but I worry about them trying to eat the pellets that they treat with).

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I can't offer any advice, except we stopped using Lawn companies many years ago, after their repeated treatments they deemed necessary - killed our lawn. They told us how safe it was for dogs, etc kids but, they wore gloves, protective pants and face masks. Also their operator treated our flower borders and killed them too. I think the only training he had was how to stop and start the spray.

We used to have Chem Lawn which I believe was bought out by Tru Green. Not only would the chickens pick up pellets (if they aren't spraying a liquid) but, would be eating any bugs etc. they find on the lawn

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, bmo1984, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! I am a country boy and I don't treat my lawn so I really can't offer much advice. But here's a link that contains a few threads that discuss lawn treatment and chickens.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=lawn+treatment
    Hope they yield some helpful information.
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! I will keep them away from treated lawn areas. I'm positive they use weed control (2-4D, mecrocorp & DIcamba) also insect control which is also harmful to chicken or birds birds since they eat the grass and anything on the ground.
    Reason they say keep pets and kids for 24 hours is the granules normally settles down toward the soil level and off the grass blades for dog, cat or kids to contract after that period since rain and or night dews wash them off the grass surface. But chicken will find those granules and ingest them.

I don't use anything toward my backyard where my chickens are.

6. vachick15

vachick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't really offer advice, but you have some links all ready, so... Welcome to BYC! I hope you like it here and learn lots!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bmo1984 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, I am not going to be much help either except to say that I do not and would not get my lawn treated for anything and do not use any chemical sprays in the garden because of the possible risk to the girls.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by