new chicken, need shoulder

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Sep 20, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I got a BO pullet from Meyer today, got her home, out of the box and she had been debeaked! I didn't know they came that way. I guess it won't grow back. I read that she won't have a problem eating and drinking if the containers are deep. But what about pecking around on the ground? Grooming? I feel so sad about it. I really need some support here. Karen

2. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I think I'd read before that Meyer sells them debeaked. She will be ok, but it's still sad to see them that way [​IMG] Hope you feel better.

3. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok, I just wanted to add on that I looked up Meyer's site and it says this under the pullets:

The Pullets are fully vaccinated, beak trimmed, floor raised and ready to move into your laying barn

I guess to them "trimming" and "debeaking" are one in the same.​

4. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    omw.. I didnt know they sold them debeaked without you asking them to do it..I thought they charged extra for that... poor little things thats awful... did they do them all or just that one??

Edited: With a trim does that mean it might grow back.. where as maybe a debeaking is more severe??

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  5. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
  6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    With all the controversy over "debeaking" I'm sure they know full well what they are doing when they state it as "trimmed"!!

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    After looking at various sites to buy a chicken, they all charged extra for debeaking, and when I ordered my chicken thru Meyer, I didn't even think to look to see if they come debeaked.
    Can anyone suggest treats and such to feed a handicapped chicken? Is layer feed okay? Should I wet it down? Karen

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will eat pellets just fine. It wont be able to groom as well or forage as well, but with deep enough food and water dishes, it will live just fine. As far as hatcheries are concerned, a debeaking is a perminant trim. In the long run it is cheaper for the hatchery to sell pullets debeaked due to lower loss of birds due to pecking in the grow pens.

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    It is a common practice for hatcheries to "debeak" started pullets. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't.

The baby chicks usually will only be "debeaked" at buyers request.

Jean

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I read that debeaked chickens are depressed. Is that true? Can some debeaked chicken owners tell me about their hens? Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by