New Chicken on the block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mrs White, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Mrs White

Mrs White New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Wakarusa
    Hi guys, I am totally new to the chicken world! So any helpful advice anyone can offer I would have an open mind too! My husband and I are finishing up our coop this week and will hopefully be able to add chickens to it this weekend!

Thank you in advance [​IMG]
    H.L.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    You should post some photos of your new coop - we love seeing the ideas everyone comes up with. Are you planning to start with chicks or started/mature birds? Have you decided on breeds yet?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box as there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Best advice I can offer is not to use flimsy chicken wire -instead get 1/2" hardware cloth for use to replace it.

6. Mrs White

Mrs White New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Wakarusa
    I definitely will! We have started our coop and are close to being finished. My husband is a carpenter, so the small project I envisioned has now turned into a tiny Taj Mahal!! :) We are getting chickens that are a few weeks old, a friend had a bunch and was more than happy to share. I'm unsure of the breed as of now, like I said I'm a newbie and chicken is all greek to me! But I do have a chicken guru friend I intend to drive crazy shortly too!!

7. Mrs White

Mrs White New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Wakarusa
    Oh boy! I bet there's a story that goes along with that!! We did buy heavy duty stuff for the initial coop, I think my fingers will never be the same after rolling it out!! But I will definitely keep that insight in mind!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by