New chicken owner and 1st time dealing with mites!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by madame Ivory, Aug 5, 2013.

1. madame Ivory

madame Ivory Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    :( From what I've read seven dust seems to be my best bet. I bought the powder and spray. My action plan is to dust my 4 chickens with the dust then spray my coop top to bottom with spray. I also heard making a paste of petroleum jelly with seven dust and rubbing it under their wings and around the vent works great. I'm also going to throw away the sand in their dust bin and use fresh sand and put some DE in it. I'm ofcourse throwing out their pine shavings in coop, And Im going todust new shavings when I re fluff their coop. Will the above steps work? My chickens are about 13 weeks old and they are my first chickens. Is there something I did wrong and that's why they got mites or are they kinda inevitable? And is frontline really ok to use? Thank you for any advice !!

2. Annasg

Annasg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    well, here goes. Sand is a bad thing! PERIOD! Sand holds mites like a dog carries fleas. I would not put FRONT LINE on any of my critters. They use so many unhealthy ingredients in their mixes.Go to your local Farmers Co-Op or Tractor Supply, if you have one in your area and talk to them. They will give you good advice but if you really want to know what to do for them, seek out a farmer in your area. They will never tell you lies about taking care of your kids. And BTW! I just had a farmer tell me that white vinegar and water will get rid of all the mites but you have to apply it several times. I am spraying mine with a spray bottle from Dollar Tree. My birds are about a month older than yours and this is my first time in 20 yrs.Good luck and I hope this works for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. madame Ivory

May 14, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Thank you!

4. madame Ivory

May 14, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Well turns out I was wrong! I did not have mites! My dear friend who is a chicken pro inspected my kids and they had mud all over and under their feathers. Apparently it was from them dust bathing. RELIEF! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by