1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner and I don't know what's wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tania388, Jan 17, 2017.

1. tania388

tania388 New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    I'm not sure how old she is. I know she's older. Her comb is pale, eyes are dark,she's lethargic, not really eating or drinking. She's squating in the corner with her head tucked into her body. She hasn't layed an egg since early summer. She had wheezing and I treated her with a coarse of antibiotics and she hasn't layed an egg since. [​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!.It looks like your hen has Egg peritonitis which basically means she is internally laying inside her body.They egg yolk will build up in the coelomic cavity and cause weight and pain at the bottom of there vent causing them to squat like that.Egg peritonitis may cause heavy breathing as mentioned.Sadly there is no cure and birds diagnosed with this are often culled on sight.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. tania388

tania388 New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you. I'll check her and see if I can feel an egg.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You can check for a egg.But im pretty sure she has Egg peritonitis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by