New chicken owner. Breed, Age and Sex Question...What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by upmycreek, Jul 24, 2011.

1. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hello,

I have just bought four chickens yesterday to add to my 4 Easter Egger herd, but I am not sure what breed they are. I was told that 2 were black silkie hens and the other 2 were silkie crosses and she didn't know what gender they were. They are all supposed to be 6 months old. What do you all think? Oh and all of them have 5 toes [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Silkie Cross #1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silkie Cross #2 (it has puffy cheeks like my EE so I was hoping it was a silkie/EE cross)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the 2 black silkie hens...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep- 2 black silkies and 2 silkie crosses. They could both be mixed with EEs, or something completely different. Silkies come bearded and non-bearded- so the beard on the crosses could have come from the silkies and not an EE. What other kinds of chickens did she have there? That would help us figure out what they could be mixed with. They're cities!

3. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    hmmm. I am a complete beginner when it comes to chickens so... I saw a silkie that had patchy fluff. There were honestly so many in such a small space that I was overwhelmed and just bought those two because they were sitting in the direct sun without any shelter in a small wire cage and I felt sorry for them. I know that isn't very smart, but I am a sucker. The two crosses were in a 2' by 2' pen with 5 others. I am assuming that they were from the same egg batch because they were the same size as compared to the others that were running around loose in the pen. I was thinking after I left that maybe she had them separated because they were roosters. It was a shady operation.

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    #2 looks like she's a EE (splash colored) x silkie (such a pretty girl too!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 looks like a blue EE x silkie as far as color goes but that tuft on the head and the lack of beard is throwing me off. I guess the tufts on the head is probably due to being part silkie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by