New chicken owner from Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jenngb, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jenngb

jenngb New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Three weeks ago a chicken wandered up into our yard. She was missing her feathers on her head. We weren't quite sure what to do but with our neighbors having quite a few cats and one cat of our own we knew we couldn't leave her outside alone. We have no idea where she came from or what happened to her. We asked around and no one knew anything. So we kept her. She is a buff laced polish chicken. I have never had a chicken before, the thought never crossed my mind, but after a little bot with her we just had to keep her as we are animal lovers. I have done some reading on caring for chickens but would love any advice. And I have some questions, not sure where to ask them though.
    I am happy to be here and look forward to talking with everyone.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh how wonderful!

Welcome to BYC!

Get her a chicken friend - she will be lonely as they are flock animals. Her friend needs to be grown up- at least 16 weeks old- if she is an adult bird, or she may kill/hurt it if it is a chick.

Make sure you get healthy chickens if you get more of them. You can get a bunch of chicks and raise them if you can keep them separated from her for 4 months or so. If she goes broody on you, you can put some fertile eggs under her and let her hatch out her own, but there is no guarantee she will go broody.

If she is grown up, offer her layer feed and oyster shells on the side. Kitchen scraps are great- nothing moldy or spoiled but stale is OK. She will need grit unless she is able to dig in the soil for her own grit. A little scratch is OK but not too much as it doesn't have much protein.

I worm twice a year with a wormer (toss eggs for at least 2 weeks), and dust with poultry dust for mites/lice if I feel itchy when holding my chickens. Worming and dusting needs repeating (worming at 10 days is what I do, and dusting at 7 days for mites and 14 days for lice). Some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a fee (just bring the poo but call ahead to find out cost etc.- false negatives are possible).

I use sand on the floor of the coop and in the kitty litter covered pan nest box, and scoop daily with kitty litter scoop (I wear N95 mask as sand dust is very bad to breathe).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. jenngb

jenngb New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks!! I was just discussing bedding for her, we had used some dried cut grass which now that her coop is here and she has moved out of the shed, she keeps pushing all stuff out of where she sleeps. Which is on the part meant for laying eggs , she didn't like the perch in there at all. Is that a normal thing for fancy chickens? She didn't seem to mind the dried grass when she was in the shed. And slept on a table .

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How nice of you to take the lost hen in!
    If you have specific questions you are not sure what forum to put in, you can ask here and people will suggest the best one.
    A great place to start is the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping you'll find helpful with your new girl https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Sand and wood shavings are probably the most popular bedding. Nice thread on using sand https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should I use wood shavings because I find it easier. Hay/straw is also fine, they just tend to be a little harder to clean.
    Chickens often do need to learn to roost, you can go in at night and put her up on the perch a few times. What are you using for a perch? a 2x4 wide side up most chickens like... the perch should be easy to get onto (you might need more than one or a ladder type system to get them up there if it is high), it should also be higher than the nesting boxes etc, chickens like to be highest up they can.

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Lovely that you could take in this lost hen. Polish are very friendly chickens to keep. Great advice there for from the above posters I would just add that you check the crest and eyes of your little hen. Regular checking is essential due to the large crest it can become home to mites very easily.
    Good luck and hope you can find her a friend.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chicken!

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She may have lost head feathers from the group she came from. Polish and silkies tend to be picked on and pecked bald by other breeds because they don't look like regular chickens. Maybe you can find another polish so she won't be attacked again. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope you can find a companion or two for her.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The above members have given you amazing advice so I'll just say welcome and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by