1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner from PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 3scorpios, Sep 29, 2011.

1. 3scorpios

3scorpios Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Hello all. We've been lurking on this forum for months and it's been so very informative! We just got our new coop this week and are getting chickens Monday, so we figured it's time to join this community. Looking forward to learning lots and sharing what we can. We're very excited about having chickens - just hope we can keep them healthy and happy.

I'm a professional photographer, so expect lots of photos. [​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG] Tell us more, what type of chickens? What is your coop like? Do you have pics?

4. copperpot

copperpot Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    Welcome! [​IMG]

5. 3scorpios

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:I'm waiting for the rain to stop here so I can go out and take some pics of my coop. I bought it from an Amish Farm Market. It's a 6x8 coop - looks like a small barn. I'll post pics soon.

I'm not sure what kind of chickens I'm getting. A man in my church called me yesterday and said he heard I got a coop and was going to get chickens, he had some pullets for sale and would make me a good offer if I was interested. Says he has several types, not sure what they all are. I told him I wanted six and would trust him to pick out good ones for me. Apparently they are 5 months old and all laying. I know the guy is honest, and has been in the farming business for a long time, so I trust he is selling me healthy birds.

I grew up on a farm with chickens but I have not had any since I was a child. We are vegetarians, so we only want hens for the eggs, not to eat.

I have two dogs (a chocolate lab and a Yorkie), so I'm hoping they will welcome our new friends and not be aggressive.

We live on a mountain in PA where the climate is rather cold in the winter. We are trying to decide the best way to winterize our coop. To heat or not to heat...seems to be a lot of varying info on that subject. We are leaning towards insulating and not heating. However, I'd like to put a light in the coop so the hens will continue to lay. We have to run electricity out to the coop and it's about 100 feet from the house. We were not expecting to get chickens so soon, so now we are hustling to get things ready.

Our biggest concern is protection from predators, because we have many in this area. Speaking of predators, do bears bother chickens?

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, 3scorpios and [​IMG]. Happy you are here! [​IMG] Good luck with your new arrivals Monday!! [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. 3scorpios

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    Okay, I have pics but apparently I can't post them yet because I am a new member. Not sure when that goes away, but as soon as I can I will share images of my coop.

And thanks for all the "welcomes". Very good to be part of the BYC gang.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. SilkieFiesta!

SilkieFiesta! New Egg

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm a photographer and a scorpio too! Can't wait to see those shots. [​IMG]

10. 3scorpios

Sep 29, 2011
    Central PA
    SilkieFiesta! :

I'm a photographer and a scorpio too! Can't wait to see those shots. [​IMG]

Got any pics of your chicks?​