1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner here - are these berries dangerous?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tessahill84, Nov 5, 2016.

1. tessahill84

tessahill84 New Egg

Nov 4, 2016
    Hi, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. Is this bush dangerous for my chickens?
    Thanks in [​IMG]
    advance!

2. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    Do you know what it is? Looks like a lilly pilly to me, in which case it's ok, but you really need to accurately identify the plant before looking it up. Do you have a garden centre in your area you could ask exactly what it is? Also, saying where you live might help, because it'll give people an idea of what might be growing in your area.

3. tessahill84

tessahill84 New Egg

Nov 4, 2016
    Thanks, I'll do that. :) located in NE Oklahoma by the way

4. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    I'm in Australia - I don't know whether you even have lilly pillies in the US LOL

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you google "plant dichotomous keys" for your area (or at least, the US) you should get some joy in terms of identification. In my experience, chickens generally avoid harmful plants / fruits. I had 4 avocado trees in my garden, and they ignored the fruits (wish the darn monkeys would have done the same [​IMG])

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by