1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner in Fairfax County, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by doctorroboto, Apr 3, 2017.

1. doctorroboto

doctorroboto New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Hello all, thought I'd introduce myself. We are a young couple living in Northern Virginia, and have recently gotten into the chicken raising game. I've read a ton on the forums before and we have been reading books nonstop to get up to speed, and in late February we acquired 8 baby chicks - 2 each of buffs, RIRs, GLWs, and light brahmas. We are very excited about having the chickens, my fiancee is loving them, and we can't wait for eggs, great compost, and hours of entertainment. I also am heavily involved in robotics, and hope to build some neat innovations for the girls and to make our lives easier as we settle into a routine of chicken management.

I am going to have a number of questions about facilities and chicken health and safety as we get ourselves familiar with the process. Right now, I'm partway through our final coop build, having kept the birds in a temporary placement of the final henhouse in our garage. But now I need to get serious, and welcome any and all help in how to best set up the living quarters for the girls.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, doctorroboto, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! You sound like a plan first, act second type of person. That is a wise approach and it will help you avoid a lot of the pitfalls poultry folks often encounter. You can chat with some fellow VA poultry folks in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

I see you've already visited the Coop & Run Design Forum so I will just say thanks for joining BYC, best wishes to you on your poultry project, and ask any questions you have along the way! Oh, and enjoy the ride! [​IMG]

3. RiverStorm

RiverStorm Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Southern USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC[​IMG]

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under doctorroboto [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive or your coop build, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great to meet you. Maybe you can create A robot to protect chickens from predators. It would have blazing red eyes and sirens, and shoot fireworks or something whenever it detects a predator on land or sky. I imagine you would sell a lot and then get a lot of threats because it also scared the chickens too death. Sorry I guess I don't think things through. Thankfully I am not capable of making anything.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry- have just missed two many days of sleep. Just forget I wrote anything but [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

9. NoVAchickens

NoVAchickens Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    Hey Doc:

I am also getting started with chickens in Fairfax area. I am leading a parent effort at my kids' independent school to start raising a small number on the school's expansive acreage. We're hoping to get started this summer in time for the first day of school. Do you have any tips on local ordinances and laws? Any other tips are appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by