New Chicken Owner in KS

KLMarkert

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2017
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
YES! Absolutely brand new! We just bought property in Kansas and the previous owners left us their chickens. We had eight, but already lost two to coyotes. They're better contained now, but we sure have a lot to learn. :)
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Now...6. Two roosters and four hens.
(3) What breeds do you have?
NO IDEA. Three are pretty red, two more black, one mixed. I'll start taking pics and figure this out sooner or later.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Google-versity.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Photography and gardening. I WISH housekeeping and exercise, but no such luck, sigh... ;)
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Army family, two dogs (older Westie and Golden Retriever pup), Photographer.

turkey.gif
sSig_welcome4.gif
turkey.gif

:welcome

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
YES! Absolutely brand new! We just bought property in Kansas and the previous owners left us their chickens. We had eight, but already lost two to coyotes. They're better contained now, but we sure have a lot to learn. :)
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Now...6. Two roosters and four hens.
(3) What breeds do you have?
NO IDEA. Three are pretty red, two more black, one mixed. I'll start taking pics and figure this out sooner or later.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Google-versity.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Photography and gardening. I WISH housekeeping and exercise, but no such luck, sigh... ;)
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Army family, two dogs (older Westie and Golden Retriever pup), Photographer.

Wonderful informative introduction thank you you will fit right in here. Welcome to Backyard Chickens from Mossyrock, Washington State

:welcome

Hello, Happy Thanksgiving! It's nice to have you here.

I grew up in KS (the NE part), hope you're enjoying your relocation. You might like to go meet the other KS members on the KS state thread:
Kansas

Sorry for your losses, I hope you don't have any more problems like that. You may however need to get a few more hens or re-home a rooster. One rooster can handle about 8-10 hens, too many roosters and not enough hens is setting up the possibility of your girls being overbred by the boys.

Best of luck to you!

Hi and welcome to BYC.
You can post pics of your birds here - What Breed Or Gender is This?

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Back
Top Bottom