New chicken owner in western NC

Deano in nc

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Hello, my name is Dean. I started incubating about three weeks ago with an old Hovabator from an estate sale and two dozen
eggs I got from a friend who has chickens. I started lurking and reading here the day before I set the eggs.

Today is day 20, one hatched out last night and ten have hatched today so far, was able to get the humidity up to 72 % for the hatch I used the dry incubating method I read about here. I think I have several unfertile eggs as some of them candled as clear eggs at day 14. I didn't toss them because I didn't feel I knew enough about looking at eggs yet.

This is my first post but I want to thank everyone for posting so much good info here, I don't think my hatch would be nearly as successful if I hadn't put in many hours of reading on this site.

We have 22 acres in the NC foothills, we have fifteen goats, who enjoy spending as much time out of the fence as in, three dogs,
and three cats (the cats are really interested in all the peeping they hear from our unused bedroom).

thanks for all yalls help

Dean

Welcome to BYC, Dean. Glad you decided join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Hi Dean, welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your first hatch going so well. What breed(s) of chicks did you hatch?

I know what you mean about your goats! We only have 4 to keep track of, 15 Houdini's must keep you busy, lol. If you haven't already found it, there is a forum for non-poultry animals you may enjoy. You'll find other goat owners, members with horses, cows, pigs, rabbits and just about everything else. Here's a link to get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

Have fun with your new little ones!

Glad you joined Backyard chickens. That sounds like a good first hatch to me , especially using an older incubator . We'd love to see photos of the babies. Sending good hatching vibes your way
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Thanks to all yall for the warm welcome. I'm going to see if I can upload pics of the babies.

Hope these pics show up ok, fifteen babies hatched so far. No pips in the remaining nine, but I know some of them are not fertile.
I know people say dont open the bator during lockdown, but my chicks were knocking the unhatched eggs around like bowling pins.
I couldn't stand it, I had to get them out of there. The chicks seem no worse for getting them out of the bator quickly and seem to dry a lot faster, humidity is up to 74% and they dont seem to dry fast at that level.

Dean

Your babies are adorable! Looks like you have a nice mix there.

Thanks so much for sharing, your photos showed up just fine.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom