1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner mycoplasma galliseptum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by west8thchickens, May 4, 2013.

1. west8thchickens

west8thchickens New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    What a mess people! I've never had chickens before. Bought 6 production reds from a guy full grown birds. One got sick within a week. Sent her off to state for necropsy and the preliminary report indicated that it was something only affecting that bird. Bought 4 more birds black Australorps to replace her and for extra eggs. It's been 1 month and a half since I bought the reds. Never have had an egg from the reds and the blacks produce an egg each per day. So here is the problem, the state just finished the final report yesterday and the sick chicken had mycoplasma galliseptum. Really don't want to kill my girls. I don't have a desire to breed. Just want eggs to eat and give to my family and neighbors. So what should I do?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You have 2 choices; treat or cull. Since you've pretty much decided to treat your birds, I recommend Denagard. Denagard specifically treats mycoplasma diseases in poultry. It can be purchased from QC Supply. There is an initial treatment dose of 16cc's per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Then there's a monthly preventative dose of 8cc's per gallon of wayter for 3-5 days. There is no egg withdrawal using denagard, there is a 2 day slaughter withdrawal. Here's a link for you to read about denagard:
    http://denagard.com/pig-poultry-public/en/index.shtml

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi,
    I have this website bookmarked because it has good pictures. this web address provides info on the MC
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/504

4. west8thchickens

west8thchickens New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    If I choose to treat my girls from what I understand they will not be real long lifed chickens because of the immune system suppression aspects of mycoplasma. Am I correct about this?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It depends on the severity of the strain of MG. I recommend the denagard if you're going to keep them.

Last edited: May 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by