New chicken owner needs help/advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chumlord, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Brought my 4 chickens home a week ago and one had a "runny nose" administered VetRx under wings, a couple drops down throat and rubbed diluted mix on head. Also put VetRx in drinking water. Runny nose stopped on that one bird and all birds eating, drinking, scratching around, roosting well, generally all looking very healthy. Last night heard "runny nose" bird "snoring" now she seems to be sneezing a bit and the snoring persists although it seems not as bad tonight. I noticed one other bird sneezing a bit today and perhaps "snoring" tonight. No runny noses and again all seem to be in good health and spirits birds caught a snake today.

Now I understand that on forums many bad problems are posted often and very few "my chickens were sneezing and now they are fine it just needed to run its course" stories never make it online so a new chicken owner can get freaked out easily.

Do I need to stick with VetRx or move to an injectable antibiotic like Tylan 50 ASAP? If not move to antibiotics now and continue VetRx when should I move to Tylan 50 if conditions worsen? Or will these things run their course?

Thank you in advance for help and or advice Lou.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It definitely sounds like your flock has a respiratory disease. The VetRX is more of a preventative measure, not a treatment, so it probably isn't going to cure them. Depending on its severity, the disease may run its course without any other treatment. However, I would purchase an antibiotic, like Tylan50 injectable or oxytetracycline (Terramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, etc.) and begin treating, just to be safe--respiratory diseases can often be severe. Keep in mind, though, that if the disease is viral, antibiotics will have no effect.

Other than that, I would continue giving VetRX. While it won't cure them, it will certainly help with their symptoms. I'd also put some vitamins/electrolytes in their water to boost their energy. Make sure they're warm enough, and keep their coop clean. Sometimes supportive care will cure a respiratory disease, just like it will for humans with a cold.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like a virus, but if facial or eye swelling develop and nasal secretions get thick, it might be bacterial. You could watch them for more symptoms. Drugs like oxytetracycline or Tylan soluble in the water would be good to start with if you need antibiotics, or get the Tylan 50 and use it orally, then as an injection if they worsen.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, and coryza (has a bad odor) are some of the common respiratory diseases. Here is some reading: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Chumlord

Chumlord New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Thank you for the advice. I have already put electrolytes in water and probably will get Tylan tomorrow. Not so confident in my ability to give an injection ... Orally would be easier it seems but perhaps injections are the way to go??? I did watch some you tube videos about giving injections doesn't look too bad???

Any words of encouragement on the injections or go orally???

Thank you again. Lou.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    As I said earlier, you can watch it. This sounds mild right now, so I would probably wait for any additional symptoms to start AB's. Here is a link to giving injections to chickens: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by