New chicken owner needs help identifying her pets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ralphiegator, Nov 11, 2008.

1. ralphiegator

ralphiegator Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    Can anyone tell me what type of chicken my new rooster is. We call him Joker.
    [​IMG]

I have lots more pictures of the other chickens (I just bought land that has 40 free-range chickens on it.) Joker is our favorite, he is very sweet, follows us around, lets us pick him up, and eats out of my hand. He is definatley the man in charge though!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!

You will get more responses if this is posted in the correct area. I've sent a request to a mod to move it for you.

Sorry, I don't know about your boy but he sure is good looking!

3. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    he sort of reminds me of my spangled old english, if i am right that that is what mine is..lol
    [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm 100% certain it's a Speckled Sussex....

And if you bought it at a poultry auction two weeks ago in Washington, it could have been one of mine. Gorgeous birds.

6. ralphiegator

Nov 6, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    He does resemble this.. maybe he lost his long tail feathers like your's has. Maybe Joker is a "mutt". Is there a chicken world term for "mutt"

7. ralphiegator

Nov 6, 2008
    Ocala, FL
    Speckled Sussex.. sounds good. No, he came with some land we just bought in sunny Ocala, FLORIDA. Thanks for all the quick responses.

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I second that! [​IMG]

9. mlh93080

mlh93080 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    New Windsor, NY
    I have a rooster that looks exactly the same!! Mine is a mix of Golden Comet and Rhode Island Red..at least that's what I was told when I got my chicks. He's also my favorite, very friendly.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by