1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner needs help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tortega18, Mar 3, 2016.

1. tortega18

tortega18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Hey guys! I posted yesterday saying I think my hen is getting sick or already sick. I bought a one year old hen about a week ago and I've been contacting the owner to see what meds I can give the hen and she won't respond! My hen keeps sneezing and coughing(pushes her head all the way out and makes a choking expression) I saw her sneeze and boogies came flying out and landed on the fence. From what I could see it was clear but boogie looking. As of now she is the only one acting this way. We have two others that seem to be acting normal. Their isn't a bird vet near me so I need suggestions from you guys! I took a close look at her and her eyes are clear! Not swollen or no discharge. Her nose area looks like grayish, maybe dries boogies on her beak?
    At her old place she did not have pine flakes so I'm wondering if it's that? But she's the only one sneezing and coughing. Please help!! What OTC meds can I get for her??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma (MG.) ILT and coryza are other respiratory diseases. Many look similar, and it is possible to have more than one at the same time. Respiratory diseases can be chronic and make carriers of the whole flock. When a chicken gets stressed, such as when cold winter temperatures set in, or they move from one home to another, they can get sick. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable given orally, and Tylan Powder and oxytetracycline in the water are sometimes used to treat the bacterial diseases like MG and coryza. I would go ahead and treat her with Tylan 50 injectable- 1 ml orally for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. If using Tylan 200, only give 1/4 ml. Here is some reading about those diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Hey guys! So I took the hen back to the owner and she gave an injection of Tylan. I'm also putting an antibiotic in the water for 5 days. I was out there for about an hour and didn't hear her sneezing which is good!
    But I took a close look and she has snot blocking her nostrils. I tried putting Vetrx on her nostrils an under her wings but her nostrils still remained blocked. What can I do to help remove some of the crusty boogies! I tried a warm paper towel and that didn't help. Can I use a Q tip with peroxide ?

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have other chickens or do you plan on getting more chickens to add in the future? Respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, ILT, and others can make chickens that recover and others who are exposed, carriers for life. Respiratory diseases are chronic, and can come back whenever they are stressed. I would suspect that this breeder has carrier birds in her flock. You can get her tested to know what you are dealing with, or you can cull her. Saline can help dissolve mucus and you can clean with a QTip.

5. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    I bought a total of 3 hens from her
    And only this one hen is showing symptoms of respiratory issues. When I took her back the owner said her sinuses were a little puffy. She is eating normal and acting normal. She just had puffy sinus, sneezing(which stopped), and runny nose. I don't plan on adding any more chickens. And killing isn't an option

6. erik67

erik67 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    Mabank tx
    I had the same problem you do I lost most of my hens before I found Aureomycin you mix it in the feed for 2 weeks and it goes away some poeople on this site told me not to feed it to my laying hens and some said it was ok I'm no expert I'm new also but I know my hens stoped dying after I gave them this medication

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Puffy sinuses can be a sign of MG and coryza. Call your local extension agent or state vet to find out how to get a test done. Hopefully your other chickens won't get it, but they have probably been exposed already at their previous home. Tylan will usually treat the symptoms of MG, but doesn't cure it.

8. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks I'll look into that !

9. tortega18

Feb 21, 2016
    Florida

How do you cure it ?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 Click on this link given to read about mycolplasma (MG,) coryza, and other chronic diseases. Their symptoms may be treated, but can't be cured.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by