1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken owner - new bird arrived, raspy/slightly heavy breathing and currently in quarantine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenwats, Sep 3, 2014.

1. chickenwats

chickenwats New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Seeking advice as I am a newbie. I have brought home 3 new pullets and now one is breathing a little heavy/raspy. I presume she has a virus and it was brought out by stress Eyes clear,no nasal discharge, comb red, no external parasites, active-only symptom is the slightly heavy breathing. (Not temperature related as it is a mild fall day at 12'C) All three are in quarantine and have not been introduced to my other hens.

My question is, if she is treated for her respiratory virus and recovers - will she be a carrier and infect my others once she has no symptoms. Should I contact the person, I purchased them from? Is this common? The place I purchased them from was clean, lots of out door space so ventilation not an issue etc so I am not pointing fingers just don't know the protocol. Thx for the advice.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. chickenwats

chickenwats New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I think I may have found the answer - balloon like crop, sour smell ----- sour crop! This too comes with a raspy breath! Now off to figure out how to treat that. So if anyone else comes up with the same symptoms, suggest to feel the crop!

Thanks for the others feedback on new members!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by