New chicken owner, Please help ID my flock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tbeaulac, Jul 26, 2008.

1. tbeaulac

tbeaulac New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    This is our first flock, we got them from a local farm at about 2 weeks old. They are now around 15 wks. The lady we got them from took her best guess at choosing pullets, but I know we have at least one cockerel and I suspect we have two.

Here are a few pics of our backyard flock. Can you help ID both breed and gender?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry The quality isn't the best on these pics

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I think you've got 3 roos and a hen. You've got two Easter Eggers for sure. I'm not sure on the tan birds though. I think your only hen is the black EE.
    Better pix would help.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    YUP I agree with Shellie...EE's and only one hen [​IMG] How are they all getting along? The one on the left may not be an EE but not sure what he is.

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Yep, looks like 3 roosters and 1 hen. Not sure what breeds though (probably EE, but the 1 on the left does look different).

5. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Oh, also..... [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    3 EEs 1 red variety... perhaps a sex link or a New Hampshire.
    3 roos and 1 hen.

At least you'll get a colored egg now and then.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I think you have two of each, though hard to tell. The Black one doesnt appear to be a boy at all, and we could tell better with a side shot of it.
    The one with the crest on its head looks to be a boy, but the other brown one a girl, judging by the third picture. The colorful one is a boy for sure.

8. tbeaulac

tbeaulac New Egg

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks to all for your help.

The bird in front in the second pic is a definite rooster, he has begun crowing, chasing everyone, and generally hassling the other birds. He is a handsome fellow, but will soon have a new home.

The bird in the pic behind him, I think is a hen. An attractive but a bit skittish bird with feathers growing down to her feet. I think she is a she because she has begun what I believe to be the "squatting" behavior that I have seen described on this forum.

The bird in the fourth pic I suspect is a rooster. My son named him "Speedy" because he runs so fast when trying to catch him. He's a curious and affectionate bird who hasn't shown rooster like aggression.... yet

Thanks for you opinions, I know the pics weren't the best to go on. Maybe I'll try to post up some better pics soon.

Tim

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Those are Easter Eggers... Beautiful ones too. Sorry to say I only see one hen in that group.

10. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Thought 2 and 2 the feathers on the feet could be mixed with a brahma maybe just my OP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by