1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicken owner - question about food and water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kat2, Jun 11, 2016.

1. kat2

kat2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    We currently have our chicks in a brooder and are getting the coop ready. When they move to the coop and enclosed run, can we just have the food and water outside in the run? Or do we need to provide water and/or food inside the coop also? They will have full access to the run during the day.

2. Chookepie

Chookepie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2015
    Queensland, Australia
    I would keep the majority of their food inside the enclosed run. That is because the grain and seed is protected from other birds (that you don't want to feed!).
    [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Whether you keep food or water in the coop can depend on a couple of things. Coop size if you have the room to have them in the coop. What time you leave them out into the run. If you are a late riser, this time of year when the sun is up early and it is getting hot, then they will need water sooner. Ultimately where you keep them is something you have to decide on how you are set up and how you can manage them.

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    food and water feeders are outside in the run for me

my chickens will go in the coop around 7:38PM and go out at 5:15AM.. they will spend most of the time in the run

be sure to the top of the run (or at least where the feeders are) just in case there's rain

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by