New chicken owner, Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Nice run! Definitely cover the top of the run to keep most of the hawks out. Chicken wire is pretty flimsy and not only can varmints chew through it, but a heavy fast flying hawk can crash right through this wire. So if you can get your hands on some hardware cloth, they would be much safer.

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great run! X2 on covering the run with hardware cloth of some sort. Chicken wire is like a welcoming to predators.

Glad you joined!

We got the chicks tonight. They are "Henny Penny" hatchlings from the daycare the kids go to, Jody will find out tomorrow what they are. The website says they may be Australorp, New Hampshire, Sussex, Lohman or black or white leghorns.

The kids love them!
That's a good laying mix of breeds. Lohmans are the labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, and along with the White Leghorns, they are egg laying machines. And the Australorps are my favorite standard breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets out of ours), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Good luck with your new flock.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom