New Chicken Owner with a Surprise (gender question)

RedBaronFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2021
So I am a new chicken owner and was gifted three chickens and was assured they were hens. Well, fast forward 6 months and I think I have 2 Roosters and a hen.
I am very new to chickens, but one grew very quickly and has quite the comb. I am pretty sure he is a male, but I'm curious about the other. They are constantly squaring off with each other. The two in question are the red feathered birds. I know the one with yellow feathers is a hen (we get delicious eggs from her).

I am hoping to get some better photos shortly, but they aren't very photogenic yet. Also, I am pretty sure they are 'game breeds', but confirmation would be cool.

Attachments

• PXL_20211203_125000452~2.jpg
    PXL_20211203_125000452~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
So I am a new chicken owner and was gifted three chickens and was assured they were hens. Well, fast forward 6 months and I think I have 2 Roosters and a hen.
I am very new to chickens, but one grew very quickly and has quite the comb. I am pretty sure he is a male, but I'm curious about the other. They are constantly squaring off with each other. The two in question are the red feathered birds. I know the one with yellow feathers is a hen (we get delicious eggs from her).

I am hoping to get some better photos shortly, but they aren't very photogenic yet. Also, I am pretty sure they are 'game breeds', but confirmation would be cool.
Yup. 2 males. You are correct about gender.

RedBaronFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2021
I kid you not, when I went to take some new photos the front one (formerly Princess Laya, now Cluck Norris) strode right up to me and crowed right in my face. It was quite amusing since he had never done that before.

Follow-up question then, they are in a smaller coop I made 55 sqft run and a 36 sqft covered section. Will it cause issues if there are two males in the space together?

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
I kid you not, when I went to take some new photos the front one (formerly Princess Laya, now Cluck Norris) strode right up to me and crowed right in my face. It was quite amusing since he had never done that before.

Follow-up question then, they are in a smaller coop I made 55 sqft run and a 36 sqft covered section. Will it cause issues if there are two males in the space together?
How large is the coop? Are they in the run 24/7? A lot of things play a part. There will definitely be issues since you only have one hen. You will need at least 10 per male and maybe even more.

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
How large is the coop? Are they in the run 24/7? A lot of things play a part. There will definitely be issues since you only have one hen. You will need at least 10 per male and maybe even more.
To put that into perspective, I have 20 hens for my rooster. I have a flock of 23, the two extra are cockerels (sons of my rooster) that are only living here temporarily. I will be butchering at least one very soon.

RedBaronFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2021
The run is 8'x6' completely enclosed and the coop is 6'x6'. They are go in and out of the coop and run freely, but are always enclosed (we have some nasty vultures around I am trying to get rid of.

The coop was originally made on the smaller size because we were only expecting hens. Looks like another larger coop is in our immediate future.

Poultry mum

Songster
Jan 22, 2021
Australia

I definitely see 2 males…

Poultry mum

Songster
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
The run is 8'x6' completely enclosed and the coop is 6'x6'. They are go in and out of the coop and run freely, but are always enclosed (we have some nasty vultures around I am trying to get rid of.

The coop was originally made on the smaller size because we were only expecting hens. Looks like another larger coop is in our immediate future.
Just to help you out on having 2 boys and I know so many ppl will say you have to get rid of one… no you really don’t… I have 8 1/2 boys (the 1/2 is a 13week old chick who while I’m convinced is a boy and I’ve heard him crow once until he’s got his saddles I’m not calling him a full him yet…) and all my boys run around my yard all together with the girls and the ducks (who I have 2 drakes.. again there’s no issues) yes they will squabble but so do human siblings… no you do not have to rehome or eat one… much like human children sometimes a little separation and time out from each other will help…. Not one of my boys are aggressive… and the only fighting I’ve ever had have been with my twin Arunacana boys (there identical and from the same batch) they were at each other all day (didn’t even try fighting the other boys) they both got put into separate “time out” spaces and the next day they were best mates again… you can keep more than 1 one boy…

blackacres

Wrangler of the Tiny Raptors
Premium Feather Member
Oct 10, 2021
Topeka, KS
If you want to keep both males, you definitely need more hens. The males can live together and be fine with each other, but that’s not the real issue. With only one female to mate with, they will destroy her.

kurby22

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Sacramento Area, California
Just to help you out on having 2 boys and I know so many ppl will say you have to get rid of one… no you really don’t… I have 8 1/2 boys (the 1/2 is a 13week old chick who while I’m convinced is a boy and I’ve heard him crow once until he’s got his saddles I’m not calling him a full him yet…) and all my boys run around my yard all together with the girls and the ducks (who I have 2 drakes.. again there’s no issues) yes they will squabble but so do human siblings… no you do not have to rehome or eat one… much like human children sometimes a little separation and time out from each other will help…. Not one of my boys are aggressive… and the only fighting I’ve ever had have been with my twin Arunacana boys (there identical and from the same batch) they were at each other all day (didn’t even try fighting the other boys) they both got put into separate “time out” spaces and the next day they were best mates again… you can keep more than 1 one boy…
I think it really depends on the roosters and their own personalities and the space available. At one time I had 3 boys and 3 girls. Two were Orpington hatch mates, and the third was a Wyandotte. My main rooster and the Wyandotte squared up a lot and it was clear they did not want to give up trying to be the head honcho. The other Orp though was very chill and willing to take a backseat to the other two. I ended by rehoming two of the three and then added a bunch more chicks and one ended up being a boy. He is totally fine being low on the totem pole and barely ever crows and never challenges any of the lead hens or the rooster. I have two roosters sharing 17 ladies. They have two coops and a 22’x9’ run to share so lots of space to help with harmony!

I’d say OP really should add a few more hens so the one hen doesn’t get overwhelmed by both boys…but OP should just see how they do before deciding if one needs to go or not! :)

Top Bottom