New Chicken Owner With Possible Mite Infestation-- Please Help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by minnesotaisab, Jun 15, 2016.

1. minnesotaisab

minnesotaisab New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I just became chickens owners this past Saturday. The two chickens are incredibly friendly and sweet. I was holding one of the chickens when I noticed that there were very tiny black bugs crawling on my arm after I put her down. Both of the chickens have not been too interested in the dust bath area since they've arrived (tubberware with sand and DE) and seem to be preening quite often. One of the chickens has been picking off part of her tail feathers. Immediately after noticing the bugs I rubbed the sand/DE on the girls. They seemed to not hate it, which is good. :)

Do you think that these critters could be mites or another infestation? If so, what should we do? Are mites a normal occurrence on chickens or is it something we have to take action against as soon as possible? We are currently doing the deep litter method and moving the coop every few days on the grass so what would you suggest we do for cleaning the coop and clearing these critters off the chickens? This was one of my worst fears and I definitely didn't think it would happen so early. :( I would appreciate ANY help. I don't want our girls to be uncomfortable dealing with these critters.

Thank you all SO much!

2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
  3. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Not only would I force the wood ashes in between feathers to skin I also provide a shipping crate type box FULL of wood ashes. My poultry have a 3 x 3 or 4x 4 wood box full of WOOD ashes 24/7 and 356 days a year. They also dust bathe in the peat-moss blue spruce needles in the so called shade garden in the center of the gravel driveways turn-around.

Dust them every couple days until you see no more signs. Check the feather shafts (especially near rear by vent) for the coating of eggs. I have also done warm dawn bathes/soaks. It will help prevent and cure up any rash on rump from them.

Good luck. But always have the ashes available.

4. silkie3190

silkie3190 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi where do you buy wood ashes ? Do you make your own ? And is any wood ok

5. ccyardbird

ccyardbird New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    would ashes from burning charcoal in a bbq pit work?

6. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013
    Shoot I just use ashes from my neighbors wood stove. They save them for me. Once they cool I put in a large trash can and sift out however much I need to keep the "dust box" full! I've also used ashes from windfall branches I burn. I live in a rural area and have boggy wetland woods so there is always fallen storm damage or trees that die from high water table. A few eggs here and there as payment and he even brings down the ash bucket to me since I am not supposed to "lift".... lol if only Dr knew what I do lift when I can.

7. bluebirdnanny

Feb 16, 2013

WOOD ashes my friend. And yes Bee's information is wonderful.

8. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    Yes, NOT charcoal! Not treated wood. I ran out from my fireplace box, and am now asking neighbors/local garden club list if they need theirs or their woodstove cleaned out to get more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by