New Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kskreider, Apr 13, 2017.

1. kskreider

kskreider New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Hi folks,

I've cared for other's chickens a lot but have a some to call our own now. We moved to Fair Oaks, CA at the beginning of the year which is known to be pretty chicken-friendly. We have a yard that is 1/3 acre that is split with a 6' fence. The back part is about .25 acre and has a large shed, maybe 10' x 12' with 9+ foot ceilings. I took off the metal door and put on a split hinged wood door so I can see in and the girls cannot get out.

I opened the window for additional ventilation, unscrewed some shelving so the girls have 2 x 4's to roost on and then covered the floor with a couple bales of pine shavings. I got a 3G watering can and a 2G feed dispenser. No nesting boxes for a while as I want them to use them for their intended purpose. I also put two loose 2 x 4's across from one side to teh other so they have lots of spots to roost. They mostly huddle up together somewhere, normally by the front door

For a run I built a 5'W x 5'H x 10'L frame out of PVC sprinkler pipe and zip tied chicken wire to it. It is light and stable enough to move around, even without wheels.

Once I had everything ready I went to Poultry Palace in Placerville and picked up six 8-week pullets; 2 Opringtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Production Reds.

I have had them for about a week and a half and was coming on to look for some regular daily care, weekly care, and more housing ideas.

I move them by hand from the coop to the run so they get used to me and being handled. I also want to acclimate them to their new yard. To do so I will move them back and forth (weather permitting) daily for 2-3 weeks so they know the coop is home and the safe spot. Once I feel they will do OK then I will let them roam the yard free. (after I fence in the garden of course, LOL)

I may need a slingshot to keep the neighborhood cats away.

Anyway, I'll stop blathering about and lurk back into reading mode. Thanks for having me.

Keith

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hey kskreider, [​IMG]! Glad you could join! That sounds like you have a good setup, but since you are in the city (I'm assuming) I think you should keep them in the run. Chickens can fly pretty high when scared! Chickens require about 10 square feet per chicken in the run, and about 3 square feet per bird in the coop. Have fun, and ask questions!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Keith and welcome to BYC. After keeping the chickens closed in the coop for 2-3 days, they will know where "home" is and return to the coop before nightfall. Hanging a flashlight in the coop will encourage their return if you find that they are hesitant to return.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Keith [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Keith, Welcome to Backyard chickens. It would be good to back your windows with 1/2" hardware cloth to prevent predators from sneaking in when the windows are open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by