New chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hillfloweranch, Dec 18, 2012.

1. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Hello I'm heather. I started 2012 with 4 baby hens as an experiment this year having never raised them before, they are all doing well and I've had wonderful eggs to bake with and cook. My coop expanded in may with 4 more chicks and 4 turkey poults. The 4 chicks turned out to be 2 roosters and 2 hens all are auracaunas. The first bunch are 3 auracaunas and 1 barred rock. I added 2 ducklings at that time also and now I have duck eggs and chicken eggs that the hens are sitting on. I have no idea if I will end up with babies but I'm still working on my "experiment" theory as I'm not able to admit that I'm hooked on these wonderful birds that have personality and so much fun to watch. I have visited this site many times in the last 9 months as a guest looking at various coop designs to build, but they currently are all housed in the dog pen as I have yet to complete their own home. Look forward to moving day as the dogs were upset at being evicted!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you decided to join us!!

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. sezjasper

sezjasper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Welcome, Heather...how funny, you went from 4 to 14 in no time at all! Chickens (AND ducks, AND turkeys) can sure work their way into your heart, can't they? Have fun!

6. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Thank you all for the kind welcome. it's been a lot of fun. They have been spoiled with all my garden goodies as well, they loved the fat tomato hookworms and the turkeys started enjoying the baseball tomato game, I throw it, they'd catch it and eat it...needless to say they're all fat and happy...well the turkey's were anyway...I was raising them for thanksgiving so we tried not to get attached my chickens aren't meat birds as my daughter has named them all..I am currently planning to separate the two roosters since they are starting to get feisty with each other and will probably expand my coop even more....all that plus 2 horses, 3 dogs and 2 goats! I joke about this beach girl turned farmer jane...but it's been a lot fun and my daughter loves it, she collects the eggs and I sell them at work and give her the money! LOL

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Heather, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Best wishes to you and your poultry!

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Fowl Mouth

Fowl Mouth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Midwest USA
    Welcome! Always hard to stick a named critter in the stew pot.. unless of course you name him something like Stewie..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by