new chicken owner

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenlady099, Jan 3, 2013.

1. chickenlady099

chickenlady099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    antelope, california
    i recently got chickens for my daughter who does 4-h and i would appreciate some tips.[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Have fun ! always make sure theres water for them. be sure to protect them from wild animals and stray pets . The backyard chickens has lots of great information ! so ask away and we will help !

3. chickenlady099

Jan 2, 2013
    antelope, california
    Would anyone reccomend a good breed for my daughter to show

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    any breed will be good to show. Maybe for starter show small breeds so it will be easier to handle

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Silkies! They are adorable and cuddly so your child can handle them. However, Silkies do require a more controlled environment-they don't tolerate extreme heat or cold. Purchase your Silkies from a reputable breeder who will help you get something worthy of showing. Get the largest coop and run you can afford and make sure it is predator proof.

6. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    One tip I give you is to try and keep chicken first aid supplies around. Chickens often injure themselves so it is always good to have a can of blue kote around:welcome and gauze and vetwrap. :welcome I hope you enjoy your new lovely ladies!

7. chickenlady099

Jan 2, 2013
    antelope, california
    this is some of our flock thanks for the advice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by