New Chicken Owner

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mzzdiamonds79, Mar 21, 2013.

1. mzzdiamonds79

mzzdiamonds79 New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Everyone, I'm new to chicken world. My husband and I just purchased a home with 3 acers. First thing we wanted was chickens. Our coop is being built this weekend. I was wondering what kind of watering and feeding systems everyone uses. Also I heard its good to have an area where chicken can take a dust bath. What is your dust area made of? Sand, saw dust? does anything need to be mixed in with it to help get rid of mites? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Cheerful

Cheerful Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2012
    You can put diatomaceous earth in the dust bath to help get rid of mites. Our chickens free-range and have made their own baths (dry dirt, really). One in my herb bed - need to do something about that. So I just sprinkle some DE in those sometimes. (Not sure what you do if you have to provide the bath, I'm sure somebody will know).
    We use a hanging feeder and a big metal waterer....one with a pull off-lid. I'd really like to get a hanging one though, with the "nipples" because they do get the water dirty very quickly!
    Good Luck!

3. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    ^that pretty much covers it also as you are building the hutch this weekend i would add a pipe/tube which runs from outside with a cover to inside into there chicken feeder therefore its alot less hastle when feeding, you could also do this with the water but i would defanitelly recommend what 'cheerful' did the bucket with nipples on the bottom![​IMG]

4. RubyRamona

RubyRamona Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho
    I love the bucket with the nipples, the open waterer gets nasty, the ducks fault I'm sure ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by