1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pjreviea, Aug 25, 2013.

1. pjreviea

pjreviea New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    Hi, we just inherited nine chickens from friends who moved. I need lots of info on the do`s and don't of keeping chickens.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    There is way to much information for us to give it all to you or remember off the tops of our heads. Start here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Than if you have any questions we will be glad to help you. It is easier to give advice when we know what direction you are looking in.

Things that may help us steer you in the right direction:
    About what age are they (babies or full grown)?
    Do you have a coop?
    What supplies do you have?

3. pjreviea

pjreviea New Egg

Aug 25, 2013
    We have nine, they are all less than 3 years old, have 4 different types ,but don't know there names. We built them a coop and they have a run. We purchased feed from the tractor supply store. Seven have started to lay already. Basic questions now are how long do the eggs last, how to store the eggs, what to feed them beside feed and absolutely what not to feed.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Start with the Learning Center and then feel free to ask about anything you are confused about. There is so much information and it can be overwhelming! I personally think that they are only a few topics that have real "right or wrong" rules, and most other things are strictly personal choice :)

Welcome to the site!

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    The eggs are a personal choice. Some wash and store in fridge, some don't wash and store on counter. Read the whole link and decide for yourself Here is the link for our ongoing debate:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813990/to-wash-or-not-to-wash-eggs

I would suggest layer feed for your flock. Give free choice grit and oyster shell. The oyster shell gives them calcium for their egg shells. Treats are listed here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
    I suggest printing it out as you will refer to it often until you get used to it.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! The others above have given you a great place to start so I'll just say best wishes and good luck to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by