new chicken owner

janvan

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 21, 2014
Hi there,
New chicken owner. I just got 4 Rhodies . I have had them for 6 days now..where I got them from was super dirty, no clean area at all. I have a nice clean coop with lots of food amd water. I bought scratch, layer food, and oyster shelll and a heat lamp ect. Today they really started to talk when I would go outside to check on them. Just curious on how long after you move chickens will it take for them to lay eggs?

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us.

I think each is different. Since they are talking to you and accepting you, it should be sooner than later. Bet they will be so happy with their new home.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sunflour's answer. The sooner your hens settle into their new environment and feel comfortable and happy, the sooner they will begin laying again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting eggs again soon.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

It all depends. If they have food, water, nests, clean bedding, lots of room and a stress free environment then they'll return to laying within a week or so. But if there are stressful happenings then it may take a lot longer.

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new flock! The stress of moving can clamp off the eggs for a couple weeks to a month or more. So do your best to keep the stress down in and around the coop. Move slowly around your birds. Don't pick them up for a while because this can feel like a predator is coming after them. You might put a ticking clock in the coop so the white noise relaxes them during the day and the night. And go sit with them often. Get on the floor with them, bring some treats and let them find peace of mind with you. The quicker they destress, the quicker they will get back to laying.

Enjoy your new birds and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! We have 2 RIR's in our mixed flock and they are wonderful layers. I bet yours will be too once they get used to their new living situation. Nice to have you join us!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Congratulations on your flock!

It usually takes hens at least a couple of weeks to start laying again. For now, just enjoy them! They should give you lots of eggs in the future.

Since they came from a dirty environment, they probably need to be wormed and maybe treated for mites. When people neglect one thing, they tend to neglect more aspects - like giving them sub standard feed etc. I bet they will do much better with your care. Welcome to the flock

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new flock! It also depends on how old the birds are, if they are older than a year, and molting they may wait until spring to lay again, especially if you do not have extra light in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom