1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janvan, Nov 27, 2014.

1. janvan

janvan New Egg

Nov 21, 2014
    Hi there,
    New chicken owner. I just got 4 Rhodies . I have had them for 6 days now..where I got them from was super dirty, no clean area at all. I have a nice clean coop with lots of food amd water. I bought scratch, layer food, and oyster shelll and a heat lamp ect. Today they really started to talk when I would go outside to check on them. Just curious on how long after you move chickens will it take for them to lay eggs?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

I think each is different. Since they are talking to you and accepting you, it should be sooner than later. Bet they will be so happy with their new home.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC & happy Thanksgiving!

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sunflour's answer. The sooner your hens settle into their new environment and feel comfortable and happy, the sooner they will begin laying again. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting eggs again soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

It all depends. If they have food, water, nests, clean bedding, lots of room and a stress free environment then they'll return to laying within a week or so. But if there are stressful happenings then it may take a lot longer.

Good luck!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new flock! The stress of moving can clamp off the eggs for a couple weeks to a month or more. So do your best to keep the stress down in and around the coop. Move slowly around your birds. Don't pick them up for a while because this can feel like a predator is coming after them. You might put a ticking clock in the coop so the white noise relaxes them during the day and the night. And go sit with them often. Get on the floor with them, bring some treats and let them find peace of mind with you. The quicker they destress, the quicker they will get back to laying.

Enjoy your new birds and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! We have 2 RIR's in our mixed flock and they are wonderful layers. I bet yours will be too once they get used to their new living situation. Nice to have you join us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Congratulations on your flock!

It usually takes hens at least a couple of weeks to start laying again. For now, just enjoy them! They should give you lots of eggs in the future.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Since they came from a dirty environment, they probably need to be wormed and maybe treated for mites. When people neglect one thing, they tend to neglect more aspects - like giving them sub standard feed etc. I bet they will do much better with your care. Welcome to the flock

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new flock! It also depends on how old the birds are, if they are older than a year, and molting they may wait until spring to lay again, especially if you do not have extra light in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by