new chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by paiges chickens, Jan 16, 2015.

1. paiges chickens

paiges chickens New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Prescott valley
    Hello so I just bought a huge chicken coop now I need chickens. I don't want to start out with baby chick's I think that's too much to handle. But is that the best way my thought of cost to raise them would be more than to buy ready laying hens. Any suggestions thoughts or advise

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I personally prefer getting chicks. They selection is much larger that way so you can get the specific breeds you want, you don't have to worry about unseen diseases or other health problems, they are a much cheaper initial investment (although you do have to feed them until they reach laying age), you can enjoy the fun of raising them up, and chicks tame much easier than older pullets or hens so your flock will be friendlier and more easily handled. However, there are advantages both ways. BCY has a complete thread on this subject at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585894/should-i-buy-chicks-or-pullets that you might want to read through. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Your timing is off. Its a little more difficult to buy grown birds this time of year. I like to hatch in the Fall and sell grown birds in the Spring but most folks don't do that. You will have to check around to see what may be available in your area. This site and Craigslist may be of help.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] Best to start with chicks.[​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] We're glad you joined us!

It is true that raising chicks is more time intensive, and possibly more expensive than purchasing already laying (or close to laying) hens. However, it does have other advantages, which is why I prefer buying chicks to adult birds.

Firstly, with chicks, there is less risk of purchasing diseased birds. Chicks are so young that they haven't usually contracted many bacteria, viruses, or other pathogens. Older birds have been exposed to many more things, and have a greater chance of carrying illness. Older birds may also have developed unwanted behaviors, such as egg eating.

Also, older birds are more prone to being flighty, especially if they weren't handled much when young. If you are getting chickens mostly as egg producing machines, not necessarily pets/entertainment, then this isn't quite as much of a disadvantage. It is far easier, though, to work with animals that aren't terrified of you. A scared hen is stressed out, which means she doesn't lay as well, and birds in a panic are prone to hurting themselves on things. With chicks, you have the opportunity to handle and socialize them.

Another problem with older birds is availability. Hatcheries and breeders usually sell a wider variety of chicks than they do of adult birds. If you want a particular breed, especially a rarer one, you are more likely to be able to buy chicks than laying pullets.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Bantamlover21's given you some good advice. Chicks may seem like more work, but they are less expensive, easier to find, and less likely to be already diseased. Plus, you get to watch them grow up, which can be quite fun!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly read the info provided by Michael and BantamLover21!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by