New chicken owners and small dog

mcarls22

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015

Help new chicken owner my small dog is going crazy around the chicken tractor. Running around and barking saying leave it is not working

Hi!
frow.gif
Nice looking coop and chickens. May I ask what breed(s) the pup is? How old? Your dog is also new to chickens! They can become quite obsessed over the little fuzzy moving toys and will usually injure or kill them if given the chance. Oftentimes, it's not intentional. For your peace of mind and the chickens safety, you'll need to teach the lil pup to ignore them. Here is a link to some threads on training your dog to be safe around the chickens. You might find it necessary to put electric fencing around the tractor. Best of luck to you and please keep me posted on your progress.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=train+my+dog+to+leave+the+chickens+alone+

Thank you for your help . I put them on the side yard with a metal gate so my dog can see them from a distance thay may help her get use to them easier

Hi!
We have a miniature dachshund and he was desperate to chase the chickens when we first got them too. We kept him on a lead whenever we were out with them to start with and like Mutt Farm said used that to correct him whenever he tried to lunge or chase them, he soon got the message. He now enjoys foraging with them all, he's scared he's missing out lol! Good luck with your girl :)

I have two small dogs. Both are perfect angels with the chickens when people are around. I can call them and they will come back or leave the chickens alone. However, if my chickens are unwise enough to get into the backyard with them, they will kill them. They can learn to co-exist, but if you are not present, don't trust the pup.

Hello! I know this post is a little old and I'm sure by now your pup is doing really well but thought I'd share my story.

I have a King Charles Cavalier and a Jack Russell x Dauchshund (both female). One is bird hunting and one is rat hunting. 'What were you thinking mixing chickens with these dogs?' I hear you all say! It was chaos for the first 2 weeks after getting the chooks. I was so stressed as a result of the dogs behaviour towards the chooks I thought about giving them back to the lady I bought them from.

I am no pro-dog trainer but after 2 weeks of intensive training (intensive for me lol) with my puppies, in almost 40 degree heat, things started to fall into place. My puppies and my chookies are all besties now. I wouldn't leave the chooks and dogs alone for the first week after they started to respond but I am now able to fiddle around in the house and know that the dogs are fine with the chooks. And last weekend I even went out for an hour and didnt lock the dogs in the house away from the chooks (who were free ranging in the backyard)

'What did I do?' I hear you ask.... positive rewards and negative rewards in different forms. Blueberries work sooooooo well!!!!!!!!! I got the dogs to see that the chickens were equal to them in my eyes. I tied my dogs up aswell while I played with the chickens which they hated because my dogs have free reign and have never been tied up.

Occasionally I have to call the dogs back if they get a little over playful and they respond extremley well to that too! So, persistance is the key! Dont give up working with the pup and before you know it everyone will be living in harmony
fl.gif

All my babies enjoying some lettuce

Back
Top Bottom