New chicken owners from Washington

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jeronica, Nov 19, 2013.

1. jeronica

jeronica Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Kirkland, WA
    Well, I've been stalking this forum anonymously for months now, and finally made it official! Here's a little bit about me:

1) My family and I are new to chickens this year! We got our 1-day-old chicks on August 16.

2) We have six chickens, which is the maximum allowed on our lot size (otherwise I'd get more!) [​IMG]

3) We have 3 each of Buff Orpingtons (Tessa, Popcorn, and Nugget) and Black Australorps (Scarecrow, Ripley, and Veronica).

4) I found out about BYC when I began preliminary "chicken research" on google last summer.

5) Other than raising chickens, we do lots of gardening and yardwork. We also do plenty of cooking and baking; I do some sewing and writing, and my boyfriend does some carpentry/woodworking, which includes our coop.

6) My boyfriend has two sons, age 9 and 12, and we have a big yellow dog named Maggie who is a terrier/shepherd/jindo mix. We have a tank full of fish including an angel fish, a butterfly fish, one silver molly, an albino pleco, one rainbow shark, two yoyo loaches, and five black skirt tetras. My boyfriend and I have both worked in the same bakery for six-ish years, which is where we met [​IMG]

Anyway, that's me [​IMG] Our girls are still living in a big dog kennel in the garage, since we got them a bit late in the year. The weather has been hampering my boyfriend's work on the coop, but it's nearing completion! The girls should be settled in to their permanent home in the next few weeks, and then we're expecting eggs sometime in January. I can't wait!

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio.

thank goodness i dont live in an area where im limited. i would be in so much trouble!

3. jeronica

jeronica Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Kirkland, WA
    I would have just gone ahead and got more, but our neighbors on one side aren't very nice, and I'm afraid they'd report us somehow. Although they might change their minds if I slip them a free dozen eggs or two when they come in! [​IMG]

4. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    that sometimes helps. then you will run across those people who wont eat home grown eggs- i never could figure those people out. [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I must say, the free egg trick worked quite well for me... ;)

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by