New chicken owners. Mixed pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Arkie Gal, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Arkie Gal

Arkie Gal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Hello Everyone. I am so excited to be a member here and hope to learn a multitude of information on raising backyard chickens.
    I have been lurking around here for about 2 weeks and joined about a week and a half ago when we first brought our 7 1-day old "mixed pullets" home.
    We purchased them at a local farm supply store and that was the maximum of information we got about them..."mixed pullets."
    As I said I've been lurking here for a good two weeks and understand that at 1 1/2 weeks old it's not an exact science on what they are for sure, but was hoping maybe someone could give me and idea of what they might be.
    My children have a twisted sense of humor and gave them all chicken dish names (even though we bought them for egg layers) lol.
    Little Miss Bleu has the sweetest disposition and Miss Dumpling has changed so much in just the week and a half we have had them.
    Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions and I look forward to learning as I go along.
    1.Marsala "Marcy"[​IMG]
    2.Nugget "Nugs"[​IMG]
    3.Cashew "Cash"[​IMG]
    4.Bleu "Baby Bleu"[​IMG]
    5. Parmesan "Parmmy"[​IMG]
    6.Kung Paolo "Pao Pao"[​IMG]
    7.Dumpling "Dumpers"[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    1- really looks like a gold sebright but that doesn't make sense if it was sexed and standard sizes
    2- sex-link probably
    3- silver Spangler Hamburg
    4- ???
    5- maybe white leghorn or white rocks
    6- ???
    7- light brahma

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  3. Arkie Gal

Mar 15, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. Any idea what the last one may be? (The are 7 total). She is the only one who has feathered feet.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I wouldn't leap to those conclusions...and what did they mean by "mixed?" Mixed as in a bunch of breeds thrown into the same bin mixed? Or mixed as in the breeds themselves are mixed...which is a whole new ball game. Or mixed as in some are bantams and some are standard mixed...but pure breeds?

All of that makes a lot of difference as to the possibilities as many chicks of different breeds look similar in down color.

If mixed as in mixed a bunch of pure breeds into the same bin..with some being bantams and others full size...then my guesses would be:

1- Looks a lot like a Gold Seabrite, but that is the wrong comb type...it looks to be single combed and should be rose combed if a Seabrite. *Might* be a Gold Laced Wyandotte with wrong comb type as hatchery quality can produce single comb Wyandottes (which should be rose combed as well).

2- Not sure, doesn't match a lot of stuff but is definitely NOT a typical sexlink...not Gold or Red varieties. They don't feather that way. It *might* be a production red if full size. Their wings can look dark in the juvenile stage but even out more red as they grow...but again, it's not matching anything in particular. If bantam...could be a lot of things.

3- Comb looks to be a rosecomb...so could be Silver Spangled Hamburg or a Silver Seabrite

4- At first glance looked to be a Blue Andalusian, but that looks like a rose comb too? (really hard to see in photo)...it could be a Blue Rosecomb bantam

5-I don't think is a White Rock or White Leghorn...you can see some black stripping coming in on the wings and tail...may be either a Delaware or Light Sussex

6-This looks to be a Brown Leghorn...watch the chest to see if it goes Salmon...then it might be a Welsummer. No spotting, so doesn't look to be a Speckled Sussex and legs are wrong color. I think it is a Brown Leghorn.

7- This could be Brahma...that's what the other poster was meaning rather than 6...as it has leg feathers...but it could also be a Cochin. Down coloring is wrong for Light or Dark Brahma. My guess is Cochin as those come in a lot of color combinations.

My thoughts. More size information would be helpful...if we are looking at bantams in particular. Some of the single comb bantam size might be Old English Game as another possibility.

LofMc

5. Arkie Gal

Mar 15, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    The add in the sale paper had them listed as assorted pullets or bantams. (The sign at the store itself said mixed pullets)
    As far as size goes, the two yellow/white ones are significantly larger than the others. What would be a good way for me to show what their true size is?

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    So it sounds like you got 2 assorted pullets and the rest are bantams? If so the downside is bantams come straight run.

7. Arkie Gal

Mar 15, 2015
    Central Arkansas
    Very well could be. We are first time chicken owners, so it's a learning experience for us.
    We did a lot of research on how to care for them but not a whole lot on breed specfics. We did want only pullets as we are having them strictly for egg laying and "pets".
    We THOUGHT we were doing the right thing by going with the "mixed pullet" bin at the feed store. Guess that's what we get for thinking. Lol
    Looks like time will tell if we have any little roos on our hands. If so, hopefully we will be able to rehome them. Again, thank you everyone, for your advice. It is much appreciated.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    And another disadvantage is that bantams usually do not produce egg sizes you may want...if you are looking for the egg size you typically get at the store. For that, you need to go with a standard large fowl. Nor do they produce as prolifically as their standard size counterparts, especially in cooler weather.

If you want good egg layers, store size eggs, then go with standard size Rhode Island Red/Production Red (if hatchery stock), White Leghorn, Red Sexlink (aka Red Comet, Red Star, Gold Comet, Gold Star, etc), or Black Sexlink. Those are the egg laying machines.

Other standad layer types, that lay well to very well (just not as prolific as the above) are Delaware (which you may have), Brown Leghorn (which you may have), Barred Rock, Wyandotte (which you might have in bantam size), Welsummer (good and nice dark eggs...which it is possible you have if it isn't a Brown Leghorn), and New Hampshire (sometimes called a New Hampshire Red if hatchery stock with more generic red type for production), and even hatchery Easter Eggers some of which lay a fairly frequent green egg.

Reasonable standard layers would be Sussex and Brahmas (of which you might have one...let's hope). Marans lay a very dark egg, and if purchased from the right line (breeder) can lay fairly well. Hatchery stock usually comes as Cuckoo Marans who do not lay a particularly dark egg but lay fairly well.

Stay away from the game, specialty and oriental types as those are more show or ornamental birds rather than egg layers...you will usually get infrequent tiny to small eggs. If you want a hen to brood the next generation for you (but not lay a lot of eggs), then go with a Silkie or a Cochin (Cochins are very, very sweet birds, often pets or show birds, but not good layers...you may love that one if the feather-legged one is a Cochin rather than Brahma).

Bantam is a size not a breed, just like a miniature poodle vs. the big standard poodle. Both are poodles, just different sizes. So there is a full size Barred Rock or a bantam size Barred Rock, or Welsummer, or Brown Leghorn. There is a bantam size of practically every large fowl. Some bantam lay pretty well (ETA: in warmer weather, due to their small size, they often stop in cooler weather). The bantam egg size is small to at best small/medium-ish (not grocery store size). Unfortunately, a lot of feed stores sell bantam games and specialty types in with the bantams of the layer types. The specialty types do not lay well at all. Many people buy bantams more for yard decoration rather than laying, especially if they have a small area for chickens and want them for pets or showing.

So your two large birds hopefully will be reasonable layer types...if I'm right that you have a Delaware and a Production Red (who just looks a bit off colored at the moment due to a juvenile molt), then you'll have 2 good layers, and those should be pullets as those breeds are typically sexed at the hatchery (90% accuracy).

Your bantams will be a mixed bag depending upon what you actually got...bantam size of the laying breeds or game/specialty types. If you're lucky you got a bantam Brown Leghorn (was that bantam size?) and your Blue is an Andaulusian...which is not a bantam, more like a 3/4 size bird, but those lay reasonably well, fairly large white eggs.

What won't lay well at all will be Sebrites or Old English Game Bantams. Delightful birds, but those will lay much less frequent and fairly small to tiny.

Here's a breed chart with breed types as compared to laying for future use.
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

If you just got them, it might be worth a try to go back to the feed store and exchange, explaining to them that you did not understand these would not be layer types.

My thoughts
    LofMc

EDITED for clarification

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by