New chicken owners

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mandojerry, Apr 20, 2009.

1. mandojerry

mandojerry New Egg

Apr 20, 2009
    Hi all,
    We are new to chickens and got our 5 "ladies" last fall when they were 8 weeks old. One "lady" started crowing and being VERY aggressive so of course now they have a man with them. OK, all was well and the girls started laying about Feb. but now have gone on strike. They stopped laying about 2 weeks ago and we have tried to figure out all the reasons. Any thoughts? One comment is that we went away for 3 days, came back and the laying stopped. We're stumped. We found one broken egg one day but no other signs that something else had got in and was taking eggs.
    Thanks

2. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Missouri
    Sorry I am new at this too, but mine are chicks not laying just yet [​IMG]
    Hope you can figure it out.

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hi there. I'm new to chickens, too. Just got mine two weeks ago. Not sure what is happening, but will give you a bump. Good luck!

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] Sounds to me like they may have gotten a good scare while you were gone.... Any signs of predators? Feed changed? Yucky weather? Since its all of them I would think something tryed to get to get too them

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG] from Montana

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they moulting? I'd give them some electrolytes in their water for a few days just in case they had some kind of scare and the ol' levels are off. Might up the protein a little with some yogurt or special treats. In the meantime check the obvious things like are they getting enough light hours, enough oyster shell, enough grit and enough protein and water.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    hello from indiana [​IMG]

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

mandojerry,
    Is it possible that you have an egg eater?
    It is possible that they are just a little erratic, since they are young. I have one EE that lays every day for several days then nothing for a few weeks.

Good luck,
    Imp

10. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    I thought mine went on strike too... until I found their new hiding place and about 50 eggs.

Are there any other places that they can be laying and you might not have noticed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by