New Chicken Parents in Justin, TX -- Coming soon!

ColvinChickens

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2017
Justin, TX
Howdy!! My wife and I are in the final stages of closing on our second home in Justin, TX-- Yep, Justin from Justin, TX.
lol.png

The best part about the new place is the size of the lot, location, and no HOA restrictions like we had previously in Chandler, AZ. The home/lot we are purchasing backs to a large estate property that has 15-20 friendly llamas grazing right up to our fence. We couldn't be happier as everything that is being built nearby is HOA and has next to no yard or backyard privacy. Woohoo!!

My wife and I are avid chicken and egg lovers--- our 2 young girls are too! The house actually comes with 2 chickens that have been laying for just under a year. They told me they are speckled hens but I believe they are Barred Rock hens. I'll post pictures when we close on the house later this month.

We both love this site and I have been using it as my primary resource for EVERYTHING chickens. This online community seems so great!! We can't wait to learn and grow with you all!

Figured I'd answer the standard questions as a newbie; check em out!

-Justin & Samantha

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes we are noobs!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Moving into a home that has 2 Barred Rocks (I believe) that have been laying daily for about a year.

(3) What breeds do you have?

2 Barred Rocks, but looking to have a total flock of about 20 hens for now. Open to suggestions on breeds here and also interested in raising a young rooster that wont be too aggressive with my 2 year old and infant (when she can walk)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

When I started looking for homes in TX I Googled several cities and chicken laws--- I found you guys this way.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Hunting, Lacrosse, Gardening, PC Gaming, Technology, Music, Household projects etc

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My wife and our 2 beautiful daughters! I am in Sales for a Global Technology Company---Covering North Texas, OK, KS and MO. We love being outdoors and love all kinds of animals and wildlife!

Last edited:
Great to meet you Justin, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center above? It has answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

No joke. You may also want to post on your state thread - just put Texas in the search box (near the top of page) and it will pop up for you. Hopefully, you will find some BYCERS

living near your area.

Great to meet you Justin, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center above? It has answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

No joke. You may also want to post on your state thread - just put Texas in the search box (near the top of page) and it will pop up for you. Hopefully, you will find some BYCERS

living near your area.
Just did and have several replies already! Thanks so much!! Here is a picture of our soon to be yard:

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Justin and Samantha! That's a nice looking place you're getting...lots of room for chickens. Just be warned, chickens are addictive...you start with just a few and the next thing you know, you have 48 of them, 6 ducks, 2 geese, 4 guineas and a turkey or two.
lol.png

Enjoy and make yourself at home here!

G’Day from down under Justin & Samantha
frow.gif
Welcome!

I love your avatar! Congrats on the new home!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

G’Day from down under Justin & Samantha
frow.gif
Welcome!

I love your avatar! Congrats on the new home!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thanks!!! Each day we are closer to moving in!!! April can't come soon enough.

I forgot to mention we have the coolest pup- Shiner, an 8 year old short haired Jack Russell Terrier. It's going to take some training but he should do OK with the chickens. I am going to have them in a large run most of the time but hope to train him to not try to eat them every time they are out--- Might be tough. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!! Each day we are closer to moving in!!! April can't come soon enough.

I forgot to mention we have the coolest pup- Shiner, an 8 year old short haired Jack Russell Terrier. It's going to take some training but he should do OK with the chickens. I am going to have them in a large run most of the time but hope to train him to not try to eat them every time they are out--- Might be tough. Any suggestions?

You might want to check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1137009/topic-of-the-week-dogs-and-chickens

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom