New Chicken person

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by harleythatcher, Oct 16, 2009.

1. harleythatcher

harleythatcher New Egg

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Florida
    Well I believe this will be my first post. I have been lurking the site for awhile now. I am about to move to a new place that has a pretty nice Coop already built. It needs some work clean up etc but it is in good shape. Sooo I thought I would try my hand at chickens. I am retired military so I have the luxury of time. I haven't had chickens since boyhood on the farm but with all the info available on this site and my new book "Raising Chickens for Dummies" I think I am about ready for the plunge.

I just happened to see that their is a Poultry Show/Swap here in Gainesville tomorrow. How exciting I am planning on going and maybe come home with some more ladies. As it is I have 2 Goldens, 1 Black Lab, and 1 Beagle mix all female. I really need to get a rooster so I am not so outnumbered.

Sorry about all the rambling but am looking forward to hearing fm anyone around the Gainesville Florida area.

Tt

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] That is great that you've found a swap so close to you! Hopefully you will meet a lot of BYC'ers there!

Shelly

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Welcome to BYC from Michigan!! [​IMG]

Make sure, as you add new ones to your flock, to always quarantine the newbies for a month before putting them in with the rest!

How neat you are moving to a place with a coop already there! BEST of luck with your new chickens, and your new place!!

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    Not near Florida but [​IMG]

5. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG] from KY

6. harleythatcher

harleythatcher New Egg

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Florida
    Shelly, Yes I am excited to go to the meet but it is going to push up my chicken plans. I had planned on refurbishing the coop next month. On the other hand I can't let his op go by. I have a large 3 1/2 ft x 2 1/2 ft metal dog crate that I can use for chicks if need be and by the time they get big enough for the coop it will be ready for them. Dont' mind me I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks for responding and have a great day!
    Tt

Edited to say:
    WOW a bunch of replies already. Well thanks to all for taking the time to say hello and have a great day as well.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!

8. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you quit lurking and joined us!

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by