New chicken seems sick. Need advice.

Jan 23, 2010
Mountains of NC
I picked up 9 week old pullets yesterday. They were fine yesterday, everyone eating and running around. This afternoon, when I came home from work, one of the BAs is acting very sleepy or depressed. She has her eyes closed while nestled in a corner of the coop, even shuts her eyes when standing. I haven't seen her eating this afternoon. I moved closer to her and she got up and I did see her drink water and poop. She does not have a discharge, no sneezing or coughing. Could this be new home stress? Should I separate her.

Thanks

hey the only think I can say is to take it away from the others make sure it can get plenty of food and water and not be bullied and if you can give it some antibiotics. well I hope that helps, and your chicken gets better soon!

Hmmm.... that does not sound like a good sign. She may just be a bit stressed, but keep an eye on her. She might also be coming down with something.

I'm not sure if I would separate her. Maybe others will have different opinions, but if you're not sure it's contagious, separation is extreme. The stress of being all by her self may kill her. In my experience, chicks don't do well when separated.

Quote:
I agree with TurkeyMountainChickens, I don't think you should separate either. Besides, if they've been together all along, they are already exposed to whatever she might have
hu.gif

Jen

Back
Top Bottom