New chicken shall I get? experiance Dutch/ Japanese/ Rosecomb/ Sumatra

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs Chickens, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Hi all chicken lovers - I have a friend who is going to an auction for me on Saturday and I want to start a new collection of bantams.

Does anyone have experiance of the following breeds and tell me anything about each

So I like Dutch, Japanese, Rosecombe and the big one Sumatra (who I think is beautiful but not sure how practical)

What I am hopeing to active is a flock that I can sell from as well as have some eggs. So I want is a ether a friendly pretty bird that is goodish layer/ friendly/ will like free - ranging

or highly desirible for looks/ friendly / will like free - ranging.

I would prefure a bird that would appeal to the town gardener and be happy to be in a pen or at the other extreme something that will apeal to real enthusiaic poss for showing etc - if I can get both in one bird great. I love the realy big tail birds so if there are any suggestion please do not hesitate to tell me

I live in the UK and the weather can be from hot 27 summer down to -6 Winter (in extream) it can also be wet. I already have Orpingtons/ Welsummers/ Marans/ Dorkings/ Sussexs cross hens and 2 cockrells who both are friendly.

Have had an experiance of having an aggrestive cockrell and would not want that again although I know you can not always predict this would rather avoide any agresstive breeds.

Thank you

2. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    My expierence is only with rose combs and japanesse. Our rose comb roo was very aggresive. The japanesse aren't aggresive they would prefer to be left alone and don't care if they are caged or free range. They are very hard to catch as they can fly over my 40' x 80' barn that is about 20' tall.

3. Mrs Chickens

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Thankyou roostercruiser I will strick those of my list then - just two left Dutch and Sumatra!!!

4. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    I've never owned any of those breeds, but I'm pretty sure Sumatra tend to be a bit wild and flighty.

I've heard that Dutch are usually calm.

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    My friend had a trio of Black Japanese and they were really sweet.
    I had a pair of sumatras and the hen was extremly sweet but the roo was not.
    My dutch roo is a little aggressive but he has calmed down after being held =]
    I would suggest Japanese, Phoenix, or Silkies

6. Mrs Chickens

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Thank you all. I think I will go Dutch (ha) don't like silkies not my type of chick - would poss get one if wanted a broody but thats the only reason

7. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Japs are a little harder to care for because their wings drag the ground, and they carry a lethal gene

Rosecombs are sweet natured, but a little tricky to breed

Sumatras are flighty, but they go broody often

Dutch roos can be nasty little buggars, but hens are sweety pies [​IMG]

I personally recomend something a little bit easier, like rock bantams, or ameraucana bantams, or D'uccles [​IMG]

8. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    We have a line of Dutch from one breeder that are really aggressive, and another that are really laid back. I think that it just depends, it would be nice if you could pick them out yourself.

Dutch can fly too. We had some outside and they were up in the barn rafters. One little roo we named Ranger Rick. He would fly way up to roost. We just had to leave him up there...he did fine.

We had Rosebombs when I was young. I remember them as being very calm and stately.

The friendliest bantams we have ever had are Modern Game Bantams. We have never--knock on wood--had a truculent roo out of any of the lines we have.

Good luck!

9. southerngamebirds1

southerngamebirds1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    northwest florida
    i let my silkie hen raise my sumatras, her calm sweet nature rubbed of on my sumatras chicks, they are calm but like to fly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by