New Chicken sick already?

Wild Prime

Songster
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
Idaho
1) What type of bird , age and weight: Unknown white colored hen, 3.5 years of age, thinner than normal but the previous owner told me she's always been thin
2) What is the behavior, exactly: she stands hunched up, walks slowly
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I haven't even had her for 24 hrs so don't know how long
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I know of
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Unsure, I got her last night and she is still adjusting to her new home
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Her poop is a little runny but not that bad. She has a lot stuck to her bum though
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Straw

I got 10 hens last night from a neighbor and about 2:30 this afternoon I took my dogs outside and noticed one of the new ones, a white hen (don't know the breed) is sitting hunched up. Her tail is up and her eyes are open, and she walks slowly, like she's watching where she places each step. Her bum is dirty but I thought it was just from dust bathing. Anything I should try? I haven't bothered her because as I said she hasn't even been in her new flock for 12 hrs.

It could be worms, Merik's, coccidiosis, or something else entirely.
Isolate her ASAP and try to get her to eat something yummy, like yogurt or room temp. oatmeal. Also make sure she drinks, electrolytes in her water if you have any. If not Gatorade works.

Update us with specifics as soon as you know more about the situation.

I dont think its worms. She seemed a bit more active but ive noticed she has a huge lump to the right side of her breast, if its her crop i think its full of air. Im not sure its her crop because its near the bottom of her breast, unless it was so distended it was hanging down.

Can't return her, they had to get rid of all their chickens because of some housing issues. She was fine last night or I would have left her.Only she is exhibiting any symptoms

Edit: After doing some research I think she has an impacted crop. It would explain the hunching, weight loss, and the bulge in the chest area. I'm going to try vegetable oil to try to get her to pass the blockage.

Now that i think of it, the guy i got her from kept chicken run covered in grass clippings and wood clippings mixed in. I wonder if she was eating and got some lodged?

Last edited:
It says to give her vegetable broth... I don't have any but plenty of chicken broth. Could I substitute chicken broth to feed her? I have her isolated in my garage now

Could it be EYP or internal laying?
It sounds like it could be EYP, because when I caught her earlier to inspect her she began panting, but after i let her go within a few minutes her breathing returned to normal. But other than the hunching and the lump on her chest as far as I can tell she's perfectly healthy.
Edit: The previous owner told me she hasn't laid in over a month because he didn't have a light in the coop. Could it still be EYP then?

Last edited:
I had a hen that I thought had EYP. She exibited these symptoms, but it turned out she had ovarian cancer. She was 2.
If she had cancer, and for your sake I hope not, there isn't much you can do for her.
I hope this turns out good for you.

Back
Top Bottom