New chicken sneezing! Seriously love this bird. Need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mother o' chicks72, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I bought a chicken two days ago and she has been sneezing alot. She seems pretty much okay other than that but I've heard that respiratory things are pretty bad for chickens. Is there something I can give her for that? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    get her on anitibiotics right away and keep her away from any others.. full quaentine.. I know its hard but its better than her sharing it with everyone else..
    good luck
    Pink

3. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    what sort of antibiotics? where can i get these how do i give them to her? she has no friends yet so it'll be fine for her to be quarantined
    but any info on what to give her and how would be great.

4. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Please help! I have her quarantined and the lady who sold her to us said she has a 3 month health guarantee so do you think she will pay for the antibiotics? Could it be stress related? The other girls have been picking on her and I think she was pretty close to one of her littermates who we took her away from and my four year old brother has been endlessly holding her.

5. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Please, Somebody! she has a 3 month health guarantee so I called the woman who sold her to us to see what our options are and she said we could return her or get a refund, problem is we have all already fallen in love with this little bird so I was wondering if it is within our rights to ask her for help paying for antibiotics for the bird if they should be expensive. Please, somebody.
    Thank you.

6. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    come on, I know you may not think this is an emergency compared to a broken leg but I really love this chicken and need help!

7. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Tylan 50. You can get it at Tractor Supply (or a similar store if you don't have Tractor Supply near you). I found these directions on another thread. Hope it helps:

I use tylan 50 for my chickens and it works wonders. For adult chickens give them 1/2 cc down their throat. Young chickens (half grown) give 1/4 cc. For biddies you can give them 1/10 cc. Give these dosages for three days.

8. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    what's CC? I'm sorry I'm not thinking straight. How much does this cost? is 5 and a half months half grown or full grown? Thank you so much. There are no TSCs in my area will a feed store carry it? I'm only 12 and my mom is threatening to return the bird because she doesn't want to deal with the vet and I really love this bird and couldn't stand to get rid of her.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    mother o' chicks72 :

Please help! I have her quarantined and the lady who sold her to us said she has a 3 month health guarantee so do you think she will pay for the antibiotics? Could it be stress related? The other girls have been picking on her and I think she was pretty close to one of her littermates who we took her away from and my four year old brother has been endlessly holding her.

How can she be quarantined if she's getting picked on by the others? If this is the case, and the sneezing spreads to your other chickens...your biosecurity completely failed and you'll have to eventually treat the others.​

10. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    They had been picking on her prior to my realization she was sneezing and before i quarantined her. The others appear to have not been infected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by