1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken to coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lox18, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lox18

lox18 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Huge problems!! I have one chook,5mths old, brought a second one that is 15weeks. The second we put them together the elder one pecked the hell out of it. Let them run the yard and the younger one was petrified. Tried to put them in the coop together today and the younger one froze in the corner whilst the older one pecked it!! Had to seperate them again. How long does this go for? Ideas? Stressing me out

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As long as it takes, I'm afraid. Sometimes there is barely a peck, sometimes an all out war. If the younger one is also smaller, that contributes to the problem. You may have to make a separate pen so that they are next to each other but separated by a fence, for a few weeks. this article talks about all the aspects of introducing new chickens, with some good hints near the end for the introduction:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

3. psychoroo

psychoroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Wicomico Church, VA
    I have a flock of eight birds about 20 weeks old. I also have eight that are about 5 weeks old. I put the younger pullets in the run in a large wire dog kennel wrapped in 1/2 inch hardware cloth for a week. When I let the hens out to free range I would let the young ones out ino the run. After a week I let the little ones out. One of my reds chased them around the run for a day or two but I had places in the run they could go and hide in. My "mystery" chick (came with the others from Meyer) was much smaller than the others and when it got too rough I separated her out with another chick (for company) and put them back in the brooder. While two are still in the brooder, all the others are doing well and they all get along and sleep peacefully in the coop together.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. Inroduce them through a wire pen so they cant peck eachother but they can meet. Then after youve done that once your ready to put them togeather put the young one in there at night.

6. lox18

lox18 New Egg

Aug 19, 2013
    Thanks guys for ur help. We literally have a coop in the backyard and if we seperate them they can't see each other so going off what everyone has written I'm going to have to go get some chicken wife and make a little fenced area so that they can see each other during the day. If I had of known about this I probably wouldn't have gotten the second chook. Stressing me out :(

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it makes you feel any better, you did a kind thing getting a second one, in spite of the hassle. They are a flock animal and really don't do well alone. Here's hoping the next introductions go more smoothly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by