New Chicken treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Centralflafred, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    Thanks to the folks here I am finding all kinds of new things. The other day there was a frog in my feed sack. Into the coop it went... oh look chicken Rugby:lol:

This morning on an early morning trip to town I stopped at the bait and tackle store to buy a dollar's worth of crickets just to see how they'd do with them. It was love at first bite. I sat in the coop for a while feeding them one at a time. It's easy to see the pecking order when you're feeding them like that. Jasper my Bantam roo is pretty far down the line. The bigger NHR seem to bounce him around a bit but I finally got one or two of the little hoppers to him.

Thanks BYC, what a resource.[​IMG]

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I love feeding them treats like that! I get a handful of Black oil sunflower seeds and "tame" them. My favorite show so far was when they were chicks, I bought some meal worms. I love the "I have something yummy" run.

Keep enjoying them!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last night I broke up some whole wheat bread to give to them.... they loved it.

4. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Haha my biggest BR found a big ol potato bug last night and was doin that "I have something yummy" run antagonizing the others to no end. That sure is funny to watch. They really liked playing that game with half of a pizza crust a few days ago.

5. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    I think probably the best fun I had was when I froze grapes this summer!!! Oh ya, and now that I have the fall garden up and I am thinning the rows, they line up at the fence waiting!!! I just toss over and the clean up is done!

6. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    MY son was watching me feed them from outside the coop. He warned me to be careful. he said if you drop one of those things down inside your boot they'll likely tear your leg off trying to get to it.

7. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Quote:I saw my banty doing that this evening....she had a dead mouse [​IMG]

8. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    my chickens eat anything that moves, snakes, mice, dragon flies, if they catch, they eat it. my roo never eats the treats we give, he just calls his hen over, and watches them eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by