New Chicken....very lucky chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by obxWaMi, Nov 9, 2009.

1. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm posting this here because I don't know which category it should be in.....it kinda falls into several.
    [​IMG] This is the newest member of our backyard flock. She will be 8 weeks on Wednesday but I don't know what type she is.
    We have named her Lucky for now. All of the 30,000 or so other chickens she has spent her short life with are now oven stuffer roasters. Our friend raises LOTS of chickens for the industry, but Lucky escaped the chicken house on Friday as the rest were being loaded up to be taken to the processing plant. They finally caught her on Saturday afternoon and decided to offer her to us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She didn't arrive to us until after dark tonight, so this is how she will be spending the night tonight. The cage she is in is sitting just outside our other pen so that she and the other girls can meet one another tomorrow morning.
    [​IMG]

Any advice on how to introduce her into the rest of our flock will be greatly appreciated.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Awe! Lucky indeed!

3. henryetta

henryetta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    oh i just love it!!! Best save ever!! We once were driving a distance behind a load of chickens (going to meet their maker [​IMG] ), when all of a sudden we saw a batch that had somehow 'flown the coop'. WE stoped to try to keep them off the road, and it was a wonderful thing we did as right off the road was a small homestead that welcomed their new friends. Good thing cause we couldnt catch them, they were pretty flighty, (with good reason i'd say) but the owners of the property corralled them, and from what i heard shortly after, they saved about 12 of those little lucky birds...

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

[​IMG]

Great save - she's Lucky alright!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so glad you got her! She looks like a real sweetie too! Enjoy!! [​IMG]

6. Natural Chicken

Natural Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    What a great story! She is very lucky indeed, but be very careful when introducing her to the rest of the flock. We lost a sweet little pullet by integrating new birds prematurely. And you may want to consider quarantining her for a few weeks to make sure that she doesn't have any pests or diseases that could harm your existing flock.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Natural Chicken

Natural Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    Here is a link that explains the importance of quarantine and understanding flock dynamics when introducing new birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

If only my DH had read this before he threw three new hens in with our original flock, perhaps we wouldn't have lost our favorite pullet. We learned the hard way, but you don't have to. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  8. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    [​IMG]
    omg
    you are the best!!!
    shes found a very nice place to live in [​IMG]
    [​IMG] that she hasnt got any disease

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    You guys were meant to be together!!! First thing you need to do is kep her away from the pthers for about a month. Then you just put her in with the others and see how it goes. Of course the pecking order will happen in this occasion. Good luck!!!

10. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I really wish hubby had read this.

Poor Lucky is rethinking her luck tonight. She had quiet a day. Wayne and the friend we got Lucky from, Stephen, decided to put her in the pen with the others about mid-morning. They thought the others would have "motherly feelings" since Lucky is just a baby. They watched for a while and things seemed to be going well. They went into the house to get something to drink and apparently that's when things got nasty. The older girls decided to peck at her on her back right at the edge of under her wings. Nothing too bad, thankfully, just a few feathers pulled out and a raw place with a little blood. So now she is in a run of her own. I've posted pictures in the coop and run design heading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by