New chicken with lice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rooster lover 119, Mar 14, 2011.

1. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chirping

Aug 8, 2010
    Hey guys you may remember me for the owner of Eagle Eye. Well when she passed away today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] me and my step dad went to my grandma's and got another chicken. she is the same age as my other chickens but she has lice. so I took all of Eagle Eyes cedar shavings in the brooding box out and put in new nest's, new food, new water, and new bedding. she is a RIR (Rhode Island Red.) and is very scared and hungry in the box. My grandma is 87 years old and doesn't take care of the chickens much so they all had lice, they all were starving. however their poop was not green. I took her because she was the in worst condition out of all of them and I wanted to help her. I can't give you pics tell tomorrow but I will describe her. She has no feathers on her head and face. she has no feathers on her breast or tummy. I have dusted her so that should help. Should I dust her again any time soon? the lice are still pretty bad on her.

P.S. Her name is Rojo because thats Mexican for red and she is a RIR

2. rooster lover 119

Aug 8, 2010
    oh I forgot she is eating but not very much she ate a whole piece of bread I put in there and is chowing out on the corn. My grandma doesn't feed them corn so she has never tasted it before and she loves it!

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Quote:cedar shavings are toxic to chickens, you might want to change the shavings to pine or something else

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Songster

Quote:cedar shavings are toxic to chickens, you might want to change the shavings to pine or something else

Please post links to your extreme knowledge of cedar shavings being toxic to chickens. Thank you [​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. SugaryinMD

SugaryinMD Chirping

Jul 16, 2009
    I just brought home a rooster a week ago to discover that he has lice and mites. I just went to tsc and got some pour on ivermectin (there are a lot of posts on here about dosing and treatment) and put it on him a few hours ago while he was sleeping. I also bought poultry dust for a few days later. He too was not eating very much and he had bites developing all over his comb. eek. Hopefully this should knock it out.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Quote:I recommend you use sevin dust to dust her again in 10 days. This will kill and any nits that have hatched from eggs after the first dusting. You'll also need to dust the coop, roosts and nests as well. You'll need to redust them in 10 days as well. I also recommend you feed Rojo layer feed mixed with scrambled egg to help keep her strength built up.

8. rooster lover 119

Aug 8, 2010
    I have always had cedar shavings down for my hens and it doesn't seem to effect them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: